What's new

Restore from Recovery USB Drive - NOT Clean Install

Troysterr

Has anyone had any success restoring from a Win8 RT recovery disk and actually getting your old apps and settings back?

I've found several YouTube videos and articles describing the process if you want to restore to factory settings, but nothing about restoring the contents of a Recovery Disk that was made after a bunch of apps were installed.

Background story: I created a recovery drive on a USB stick prior to installing Windows 8.1 RT, and I really want to go back. The technology preview of 8.1 has been very, very buggy for me--most apps, including native Windows RT apps, crash almost every time I try to run them. I'd like to get restored back to where I was right before installing 8.1, but, after trying every option I can think of, the only restore I can do is back to factory settings, with no apps.

I'm pretty sure that the USB stick is okay--I can read files from it using either my Surface RT or a desktop computer. And the first few times I tried, I was required to enter my recovery key, but, after the message "Unlocking" came up and stayed there for 5-10 seconds, I was just returned to the same screen (with the options to Shut Down, Continue to Windows 8.1, Troubleshoot, etc.) None of the options I could find ever restored from the USB stick.

After following the only path that actually reset the device, I can't even get it to ask me for my recovery key any more. It's like the USB stick isn't even there.

Omni

Humm Im not sure what you've done with the USB stick but the only way to go back is the reset it to factory defaults. The RT doesn't have a system state backup like the pro or a normal Windows pc does. Or you ould update to the RTM of 8.1 which would save you changing again later. It is faster and more stable than the preview.

machistmo

Has anyone had any success restoring from a Win8 RT recovery disk and actually getting your old apps and settings back?

I've found several YouTube videos and articles describing the process if you want to restore to factory settings, but nothing about restoring the contents of a Recovery Disk that was made after a bunch of apps were installed.

Background story: I created a recovery drive on a USB stick prior to installing Windows 8.1 RT, and I really want to go back. The technology preview of 8.1 has been very, very buggy for me--most apps, including native Windows RT apps, crash almost every time I try to run them. I'd like to get restored back to where I was right before installing 8.1, but, after trying every option I can think of, the only restore I can do is back to factory settings, with no apps.

I'm pretty sure that the USB stick is okay--I can read files from it using either my Surface RT or a desktop computer. And the first few times I tried, I was required to enter my recovery key, but, after the message "Unlocking" came up and stayed there for 5-10 seconds, I was just returned to the same screen (with the options to Shut Down, Continue to Windows 8.1, Troubleshoot, etc.) None of the options I could find ever restored from the USB stick.

After following the only path that actually reset the device, I can't even get it to ask me for my recovery key any more. It's like the USB stick isn't even there.

Its working as intended. With the RT you can do two types of restore IIRC one that leaves your files in place but resets the device and one that wipes it back to factory. In either case some downloading will be required but this is how its supposed to work.

As for your USB key being seen, turn off secure boot in the Bios and then reboot. It should then see the key. Its been a really long time since I owned the RT and so I may be mixing this up with the Pro, but I think they both operated on that same system... Anyone that has one can tell you exactly what to do, but there is a hoop to jump through before it will see the USB drive on boot.