What's new

Restore i5 SP3 image onto i7 SP3

lcavada

I gave my son my SP3 i5. Before i did, i made an image using the MS file history/image process.

Can I restore this i5 image onto my i7 that i will get any day now?

ctitanic

I don't think that you can do that. Now, when you log into your i7 using your MS account it will be sync and all your metro Apps installed.

OP
L

lcavada

Yes, when I log in it will restore my metro apps.

However I have many other things like software and network drive maps that I prefer not to do from scratch. One in particular is outlook with 6 different accounts

bamaster

=However I have many other things like software and network drive maps that I prefer not to do from scratch. One in particular is outlook with 6 different accounts

When you figure that one out, let me know. I've always had to re create my accounts in Outlook. And re create my Outlook rules and display font sizes.

ctitanic

The problem is that these two devices use two different processors and we don't know how many other things are different in the drivers.

dman27

Anyone actually try PC Mover and Drive Image? Sounds like it's promising if it doesn't replace the drivers or overwrite the new OS.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

This would be the same version of Office/outlook and PC Mover is a more capable tool.

I have not specifically used PCMover but have done the same things using Enterprise migration tools including moving outlook configurations.

One could just mount the image VHD and hack away but to me it would be worth trying this tool. its a well known vendor that's been around for years in this technology space.