What's new

Resume from Sleep Issue since day 1

OP
J

jomon

I think this is definitely a bug. I can reproduce this too. I ran into this issue last night. Shame that MS did not catch this during testing.

I have a similar problem, it is very consistent. Could someone try this who has the touch keypad:

- Set your pro with a password to log in (local password is what I use, not sure if this fails with online)
- Have it set so screen locks and requires password on resume from sleep
- With keypad attached and Surface running, press power button briefly to put it to sleep

NORMAL behavior:

- With keyboard still attached, press power to resume.
- A gesture removes the picture, exposes the login box
- If you touch the login box the on-screen keyboard appears.

HOWEVER buggy behavior

- Before resuming, remove the keyboard that was there when it went to sleep.
- Resume by touching the power button
- Screen appears. One of two things happen:

1) The image chosen is on the screen, and you cannot make it go away (swipe, gesture, nothing)
- or -
2) Login prompt appears, you touch it, but no keyboard will pop up

I can 100% of the time reproduce this -- just remove the keyboard while sleeping, and there is no way to key in a local password. At least I've found no way around the problem while resumed (a hard reboot will of course fix it).

I think the system is confused by waking up without a keyboard it had when it went to sleep, and not handling it correctly.

Going to sleep without the keyboard and it resumes fine without it.

I can't imagine this is hardware on mine alone -- can someone confirm that's the behavior?

Linwood

Someone did point out that the "accessible" icon on the left will call up a different sort of on-screen keyboard that you can use.

machistmo

Every single time mine goes to sleep and I attempt to wake it, it reboots and then sends data to Microsoft.

UPDATE:

Turns out it was crappy FortiClient that was causing the issue. I updated to an even worse version of the client(newer means bulky bloat-ware) and the issue is resolved. Hate the interface, but hey, it works for connecting me to work and no longer prevents the unit from waking. I pulled my minidumps and after looking at the dates on the files I could see that the issue started minutes after I first installed the FortiClient at work. Oddly it also removed my swipe in from the left and even after a Factory Reset the feature did not return. I then turned the feature off in settings and then rebooted, then enabled it again and swipe in from the left returned. Which rocks because that feature is a KEY thing for me.

All in all I absolutely love this unit. Its perfectly awesome. It performs exactly as expected and is for lack of a better term - an Ultra Ultra-Book.

Last edited:

Linwood

Every single time mine goes to sleep and I attempt to wake it, it reboots and then sends data to Microsoft. I am wary of this issue. It seems hardware related to me. hoping some update in the near future will resolve this issue.

I have not had a any crashes that I can recall, certainly none the last few days, and I've been playing with it a lot in various configurations. If you haven't you might consider making sure you have run and rerun and rerun the update process to make sure all the updates are in, and perhaps see if you can find anything in the event logs that might indicate the culprit, OR take it back. I think if they had a widespread problem with crashes on every awaken event, you would be hearing it widely, so my guess is it is either your machine's hardware, or something running (or not) on it?

dlacaba

Seems like my issue might be the same as yours. My system seems to crash quite often now and doesn't wake up right away. When I check the error log, I always see an error saying

The previous system shutdown at 10:16:30 PM on ‎2/‎19/‎2013 was unexpected.

I also see some device driver errors in there as well.

And one more thing I just found is this....

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Seems like it may be common among Windows 8. But I'm unsure if you have the same issue as me. Can you check your event log?

I'm gonna try turning off fast startup tomorrow and see if that helps.

OP
J

jomon

dlacaba,

I have noticed that same message on my event log, like every single day it has a message that says previous system shutdown was unexpected. I also noticed that sometimes when I try to logoff, it just hangs. Very annoying but I have until Sunday to exchange this.

Seems like my issue might be the same as yours. My system seems to crash quite often now and doesn't wake up right away. When I check the error log, I always see an error saying

The previous system shutdown at 10:16:30 PM on ‎2/‎19/‎2013 was unexpected.

I also see some device driver errors in there as well.

And one more thing I just found is this....

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Seems like it may be common among Windows 8. But I'm unsure if you have the same issue as me. Can you check your event log?

I'm gonna try turning off fast startup tomorrow and see if that helps.

genghiskhent

I'm having similar problems. First, the system crash message. Second, when I put the Pro to sleep and then put it in my bag, it heats up a lot. I learned not to put it in a sleeve case, just naked in the bag so it can breathe, but it still heats up. Third, when I put the Pro to sleep and then put it in my bag, the battery level goes down rather quickly. Fourth, sometimes (not always) the Pro is a bit difficult to resume from sleep. I have to press the Power button several times. Per this thread, I turned off fast startup to see if that helps any of these issues.

dlacaba

genghiskhent / jomon

I ended up in chat with Microsoft Surface support. They went through a bunch of stuff and ended up just recommending that I do a "refresh" on the surface. After doing that it seems to be working fine now. I would normally have ran into the issue when waking it up from sleep, but I haven't had the issue so far. I used to happen around 4 or 5 times a day, so I would have expected it to happen by now, but it hasn't. (Knocks on wood).

From Metro -> Charms -> Change PC Settings -> General -> Refresh

You'll have to reinstall all desktop applications, but my files are still all there for the most part.

I assume that it has something to do with one of the desktop applications I installed. Since it seemed like it was crashing before logging in, I'm thinking it has to do with some service applications I installed, either Apple Photostream or Apache Server. Just a guess right now, but I'm going to install those a couple days apart from eachother to see if the error starts happening after installing one of them.

Talldog

I can confirm this issue with my unit as well...
Me, too. If I hit the power button, reattach the keyboard, then turn it back on, it's fine. Also, if I wait until "Surface" appears on the screen before removing the keyboard, it's OK.

genghiskhent

In my power options, for closing the lid, I've switched from sleep to hibernate. That seems to have resolved the issue of battery drain and heat. My guess is, even in sleep mode, the Surface Pro is doing a fair amount of work, hence the battery drain and heat. One remaining issue is, even when resuming from hibernate, I still get the warning that Windows didn't shut down correctly and do I want to send an error report to MS. I "just say no."