What's new

Return to the desktop after closing program

Ruffles

Is there a quick way to return to the desktop if that's where you were when you launched a program and close it? For example, several times now I have been in the desktop and tapped on a .pdf or .jpg. The metro apps for these files opens and displays them. I then hit escape or swipe from the top and the app will close but it returns me to the start screen, not the desktop. Is there a simple keystroke or gesture that I'm not aware of to do this?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, you can hit the Window key to return to the previous app or you can pause 1 second after closing the app and then swipe from the left edge in (the multi-task swipe) to return to the previous app. Waiting 1 second between swipes toggles between the two recent apps while swiping continuously without the one second pause cycles through all open apps.

tonyz3

it seems the the new Stardock app might be what you need. Modernmix - get the free beta at stardock.com - because it runs everything - metro apps from the desktop it will keep you in desktop. I would jump on the stardock forum for info. seems good so far. I prefer the modern apps but you can do a lot with the Mmix options on desktop.