What's new

Returned my Surface, immediately regretted it. Buying another.

mcitpmike

Initially I was nervous about purchasing my Surface. I had bought a 32 gig with a Type cover and spent about $680.00. Then, Ballmer was quoted as saying that sales were "Modest" when he was really referring to the distribution channel being Modest...as MS is only selling the Surface through their online store and their small retail channel of MS stores. Shortly after, they fired Steven Synofsky and I said "Oh boy...Im sitting on a time bomb."

I returned the Surface worried that MS wouldn't stand by Windows RT, and immediately missed the device.

Since then, MS has reaffirmed Ballmers quotes and guaranteed that they will support RT for almost five years.

There are so many things that the Surface can do that make the device unique. The multitasking and split screen immediately come to mind. The ability to run multiple Office apps and IE on the desktop at one time while sidecarring a metro app for music or chat also comes to mind. The keyboard covers are awesome.

Im getting another Surface tomorrow, and this time I think Im going 64 gig. :cool2:

tomroeder

I went to my Microsoft store to look at the Surface on day of launch. There was one website that I needed to work, and it was entirely flash based. When my website did not work, I was heartbroken. I regrettably ordered an iPad and installed a flash browser and it worked fine. About two weeks later I saw the article about how to modify the white list to add flash compatibility for any website, so I returned the iPad and bought the 32gb Surface with the type cover. After a few days with it,I retuned it for the 64gb with the black touch cover. I am going to return the type cover and get the extended service plan. Normally I opt out of ESP's, but with this being a completely new thing, I am going to play it safe. So far I love this thing!!!

mdanehart

I would have sold you my Surface with the black touch pad and just two weeks old for $599.00 shipped in U.S Purchased a 11 inch laptop for my needs.

OP
M

mcitpmike

I went to my Microsoft store to look at the Surface on day of launch. There was one website that I needed to work, and it was entirely flash based. When my website did not work, I was heartbroken. I regrettably ordered an iPad and installed a flash browser and it worked fine. About two weeks later I saw the article about how to modify the white list to add flash compatibility for any website, so I returned the iPad and bought the 32gb Surface with the type cover. After a few days with it,I retuned it for the 64gb with the black touch cover. I am going to return the type cover and get the extended service plan. Normally I opt out of ESP's, but with this being a completely new thing, I am going to play it safe. So far I love this thing!!!

I went down to the MS store today to play around. I played with a 64 gig that had the black touch cover. I knew that if I went with a 64 gig, this would be a mandatory cover. After playing around with Word and OneNote on the cover, I actually really liked the touch cover. The keyboard sound while typing really made it cool. I also noticed the Search, Charms and Settings keys for the first time, and immediately got accustomed to hitting those as well as play and volume buttons to control music while Im in Word.

I left because I wanted to think it over tonight (the 32 vs 64 gig config) but I think tomorrow I will go pick it up!

guitar1969

I love my 64gb. I am concerned about the recent news of MS cutting back production of the Surface RT due to disappointing sales. My concern is that the development community will not keep making RT versions of the apps if they see it as failure.

justingood

I agree 100% with archapacman's statement.

I feel like the Verge most of all really missed the mark with their review. The negative reviews are what really kept me from wanting to purchase a Surface but I remembered what my reasons for wanting to purchase it in the first place. I've been extremely happy with it so far and am proud to say I love it more than the iPad and Android offerings don't come even close. To think we're not actually taking full advantage of the Tegra 3 chip either? I'm very happy.