What's new

Returning iPad Air and purchasing Surface 2

Ordnas

As much as I love the iPad Air. I cannot justify keeping it along with my jailbroken iPad 3. The upgrade just isn't enough for me. Yes, it's a bit faster, lighter and smaller, but it's just too restrictive after using one that's jailbroken.

So I went to have a look at the Surface 2 and love the fact that I can have a full USB 3 port, sd card slot, built in kick stand and native keyboard attachment amongst other things.

Any apps that I will miss, I can use my ipad 3, and if I want to install x86 programmes I can use my chunky laptop or desktop pc.

Will wait until next year to see what Apple has to offer.

In the meantime, roll on Thursday :)

souldier

Good choice. I wouldn't have much use for a tablet such as the Surface 2 or the Ipad, but if I had to choose I would get the Surface 2 anyday for its keyboard cover options, additional ports (micro sd, USB 3, hdmi, etc.), multi stage kickstand, fully functional MS Office 2013 suite, desktop view of folders, etc. I think the Surface 2 kills the iPad. I only time an iPad would be better to me is if it had apps that I MUST HAVE, which there are currently none for my personal use.

beman39

at least when MS came out with the new Surface it had MAJOR improvements, unlike the ipads line up which are just small incremental upgrades, if you ask me...nothing really exciting and OMG I GOTTA UPGRADE! lol

As much as I love the iPad Air. I cannot justify keeping it along with my jailbroken iPad 3. The upgrade just isn't enough for me. Yes, it's a bit faster, lighter and smaller, but it's just too restrictive after using one that's jailbroken.

So I went to have a look at the Surface 2 and love the fact that I can have a full USB 3 port, sd card slot, built in kick stand and native keyboard attachment amongst other things.

Any apps that I will miss, I can use my ipad 3, and if I want to install x86 programmes I can use my chunky laptop or desktop pc.

I'm doing the opposite. After dealing with software and hardware issues, I'm sending my S2 back for an iPad.

OP
O

Ordnas

I'm doing the opposite. After dealing with software and hardware issues, I'm sending my S2 back for an iPad.

Check out the Apple forums and you will find lots of people having probs with the new iPad and ios7. I was lucky my iPad Air had no defects whatsoever, but lots of people are complaining over there.

I just hope I'm as lucky with my Surface 2 when it arrives.

macmee

Hah, you essentially did the same thing I did. I got the original iPad, moved to the iPad 3 and as I was watching the keynote about the "iPad Air" as soon as I heard that all they did was bump the specs and make the thing thinner, I tracked down a Surface Pro 2 and made the purchase. This is the 5th iteration of the iPad and yet the damned thing can't read micro SDs or support USB yet, it doesn't have a keyboard dock and it has terrible stylus support.

Moreover, and I say this as someone who's more or less happy with the battery life on my Surface: Windows has completely awful battery life compared to OS X. If Apple wanted they could of easily converted the 11" MacBook Air into a tablet/hybrid, and they could LITERALLY of flicked a switch to allow developers to compile their iPad apps for x86 to run on this new MacOS tablet. Apple hasn't done this because they know they can get milk the iPad for even more money by dragging its upgrade process out longer and longer, it's sad.

The Surface Pro 2 is great, it's full Windows. It's smidge more buggy than iOS and admittedly much thicker but heck, with an i5, 8GB of RAM and a full Operating System it's much more useful to me than my iPad. If it weren't for the fact that I write Obj-C apps for iOS I would have sold my iPad 3 already.

Instead of progressing forward Apple chose to stand perfectly still and add barely any new features to iOS or the new iPad. If they continue down this path to nowhere then within the decade they'll be the next Palm or BlackBerry.

Check out the Apple forums and you will find lots of people having probs with the new iPad and ios7. I was lucky my iPad Air had no defects whatsoever, but lots of people are complaining over there.

I just hope I'm as lucky with my Surface 2 when it arrives.

I'm sure there are issues. But between needing to reinstall RT within two weeks of ownership because it began to ignore nearly all system-level swipes (good thing I had just gotten my external keyboard so I could at least pull up the search), to the fact that the digitizer would pick up touches on the bezel (big no-no), I just couldn't keep it. I've had a lot of problems with MS hardware, and seeing the QA problems on this so quickly killed my confidence in the product. I really like it, I just don't trust it enough to keep it.

beman39

I'm sure there are issues. But between needing to reinstall RT within two weeks of ownership because it began to ignore nearly all system-level swipes (good thing I had just gotten my external keyboard so I could at least pull up the search), to the fact that the digitizer would pick up touches on the bezel (big no-no), I just couldn't keep it. I've had a lot of problems with MS hardware, and seeing the QA problems on this so quickly killed my confidence in the product. I really like it, I just don't trust it enough to keep it.

so you have 1 defective device 1 time and your confidence drops? lol as apposed to how many great working devices are on here and people are happy with them and you take it back? why not just get a replacement and you would have been happy with the device afterwards! man you give up easily LOL anyways your loss

OP
O

Ordnas

Fair enough. I swapped out my iPad 2 a couple of times when I first got it, and my iPad 3 three times before I got a decent one.

The iPad Air is the first apple device I've had that was perfect 1st time. Quite ironic that it's the first apple product I'm returning for a refund too.

OP
O

Ordnas

At the end of the day all the big companies suffer from QC issues. Fingers crossed I'm as lucky as I was last time.

oion

At the end of the day all the big companies suffer from QC issues. Fingers crossed I'm as lucky as I was last time.

MS hasn't been in the hardware business all that much, either. I mean, besides Surface since mid-ish 2012, there was the Zune? I've been lucky all around with all my devices, fortunately, except that one year where a company I worked for decided to give everyone iMacs. Shitty pieces of crap they were (always in repair), so I swore off Apple products pretty much forever. :p