What's new

Reverted back to 8.1 - didnt like Win 10

kwright

I switched back to 8.1 when possible on everything (Yoga 13 will not update from 8 to 8.1). My main computer is a SP3 with a dock at work and at home. If you use a touch screen the new OS feels like a move in the wrong direction. If you use OneDrive extensively it again feels like a move in the wrong direction. I'm sure that this will change but I really like 8.1. It is the perfect OS for a SP3.

InspectHerGadget

Any ideas on the quickest way to restore 8.1? I have had my fling with Windows 10. I'm having a lot of trouble now with unstable WiFi, not just here at home either and it is becoming an issue. Yesterday, I thought it was Norton and took that off but it is still happening. It wasn't like this at first, it is one of the updates, either that or some hardware issue that has just started up.

I have the SP3 and it is more than a month since I updated it so I'll probably just completely reinstall using W8.1 on a thumb drive.

lparsons21

I'm with you on Edge. Used it just long enough to figure out it isn't ready to actually be used in any sane way. And I had bought a new SP3 over the weekend. All was fine with W8.1 but with W10 being the future, I put it on. Bad move!! :(
Wifi got so twitchy and would forget it worked and the only fix was a reboot. Talked to support and they said it was probably my router. Since my Pixel Chromebook, SP2 and Yoga 2 Pro, not to mention various tablets and phones, don't seem to have the issue I decided that the SP3 and W10 aren't ready for each other yet.
Took the SP3 back to BB.
One oddity when I was trying to 'virginize' the SP3. Had to go back to 8.1 and then do the erase and recovery as it wouldn't see the recovery partition while in W10.

InspectHerGadget

I'm with you on Edge. Used it just long enough to figure out it isn't ready to actually be used in any sane way. And I had bought a new SP3 over the weekend. All was fine with W8.1 but with W10 being the future, I put it on. Bad move!! :(
Wifi got so twitchy and would forget it worked and the only fix was a reboot. Talked to support and they said it was probably my router. Since my Pixel Chromebook, SP2 and Yoga 2 Pro, not to mention various tablets and phones, don't seem to have the issue I decided that the SP3 and W10 aren't ready for each other yet.
Took the SP3 back to BB.
One oddity when I was trying to 'virginize' the SP3. Had to go back to 8.1 and then do the erase and recovery as it wouldn't see the recovery partition while in W10.
I think it is an update as interestingly I had NO WiFi issues to start with. It is part of the 'dance' with a new Operating System. Updates by driver manufacturers and Microsoft themselves fixing some things while breaking others. It just isn't stable enough, yet IMHO.

lparsons21

I'm just getting a bit crotchety in my old age I guess! :)
Back in the day I didn't mind beta testing but these days I have little patience for it. I've got a Chromebook Pixel that I use most of the time these days and added a linux installation to it for the few apps that ChromeOS doesn't have. Probably the most trouble-free computer I've ever owned. And the 10+ hours on battery and a 1.5 hour charge time ain't too shabby either.

dajogejr

I'm with you Van (OP). I've literally put W10 on my SP3 several times. From update to fresh wipe and install.
Some things just don't work.
I posted about it (the issues) on the 16th of September. 170 plus views, not one single reply on what could be wrong.
I'm thinking about taking mine back to an MS Store to see if they'll exchange it. I have until November...

lparsons21

So you're the guy that bought a Pixel :eek: awesome machine! I'd love to see one.
Screen is awesome, better than MacBook Pro w/Retina as I've compared it to mine. Speed is wonderful and what bad could be said about 10+ hours battery life and less than 1.5 hours to fully recharge?
It does have its limits unless you load a full Linux distro on it though.

8 second boots and updates/upgrades are also not shabby!! :)