What's new

[Review] Acer W3-810

tonyz3

hopefully an option for a digital screen too...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Tom T

A digitizer layer is one thing that would make these smaller screen devices much better, but if I had my choice all tablets would have that type of input.

Tom T

Just installed snex8x and if you are into emulators this one runs great on the W3. Now I have only used the touch controls but they were much easier to use with the smaller display.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

Just installed snex8x and if you are into emulators this one runs great on the W3. Now I have only used the touch controls but they were much easier to use with the smaller display.

Funny you mention this. I installed the emulator the other night and it's much easier to use with the W3 because of it's size.

Tom T

I'm finding a lot to like about this diminutive tablet running Windows 8. One thing that surprises me is how well Win8 runs in portrait mode. Also I just tried using my favorite capacitive stylus, the Pogo Sketch Pro, and it works good. I had kind of put it aside after disappointing results with my RT. It still is a considerably less satisfying experience than the Wacom digitizer on the Samsung Ativ 500 or I would suspect the Surface Pro. Still a very usable option though.

TechBlog.tv

Tom T, have you experienced the screen not registering some of your presses or swipes? For me it seems like the W3 occasionally misses a press.

Tom T

Tom T, have you experienced the screen not registering some of your presses or swipes? For me it seems like the W3 occasionally misses a press.

No, and in the metro side it is easiest to verify this for me. On the desktop side I think this is one of the issues facing smaller screen devices as it can be a bit difficult to accurately select some of the links or buttons, swipes work reliably for me so far. I have gotten in the habit of zooming in a bit when I need a little more accuracy, but I can honestly say it hasn't been as much of an issue as I kind of expected it to be. One idea might be to try recalibrating and see if it helps. I'm curious though, and will try to pay specific attention to this and see if it is significantly different than my RT.

TechBlog.tv

Btw, I shot a video review of the Acer Iconia W3 (see below). Next, I'm going to upgrade it to 8.1.

[video=youtube;RwogPW26hy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwogPW26hy0[/video]

Tom T

I plan on installing 8.1 son as well, the specific support for smaller screen tablets makes it more interesting to me here than on my RT. I'll check out the video review today as well.

Tom T

In preparation for installing the 8.1 preview I created a recovery image on a thumb drive and deleted the recovery partition, which now gives me over 38gigs free. I also copied the drivers and software recovery and I can reclaim another half a gig. With the 32gig micro SD card I now have a comfortable amount of storage available to me. I keep waiting for some glaring weakness of this tablet to surface but so far I think I'm starting to love this thing.