What's new

Right mouse button on Type cover finicky?

spectre51

Anyone else have and issue with the right mouse button on the type cover being finicky? Seems like most of the time it will just register it as a left mouse click. I have to sometimes make sure I a clicking the very bottom right corner of it to make sure it does it and even then sometimes it doesn't register right.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

reptilian

I noticed that when I was deciding which cover to get. I tested for a while at a Best Buy and decided on the touch cover, even though I liked the type keys better. There is some kind of right click flaw on the type cover, maybe it could be fixed in future software. I wrote about it if you search in the accessory section. I forgot the subject, "right click better on touch" or something. Hardly anyone else has seemed to notice this, I think it's only people who use the touchpad fast with 2 hands and not "hunt and peck" with one finger. I noticed it wouldn't register the right click if I had one finger on the touchpad, like it was waiting for a 2 touch gesture. The touch cover does not have this problem. Although I've seen a weird glitch about once a day, as soon as I move the cursor, the "Mute" function gets engaged for no reason. Could be my cover or in the Surface Pro. :/ Overall I am super happy with my Pro!

OP
spectre51

spectre51

Yeah I noticed the two finger as well. Have to make it a point to take my left hand fingers away from the touchpad if I want to right click.

reptilian

Thank you for making me feel less crazy, as you are probably the 3rd person that noticed this problem. I went with the touch since I use the cursor a lot more than typing long documents. If I noticed it at a Best Buy, I could imagine how frustrated I would get using the touchpad every day. That said, the typing is a bit nicer on the type cover. I use the touchpad to edit video and photos so it just depends which you will use more. You can always get a tiny Bluetooth or USB mouse and have the best of both.

rilot

Both touchpads have issues.
The type cover has finicky multi-touch which makes two finger scrolling and right mouse clicking hit and miss.
The touch cover has a 1 second delay when transitioning from scrolling to moving the pointer and vice versa.

It's really annoying. I have both covers and both are crap but in different ways.

reptilian

Can anybody confirm the touchpad performance of the new Touch and Type Cover 2's? I tested a Type Cover 2, and it seems to be plagued by the same ridiculous right click issues as the first type cover (see above posts). I'm tempted to get a Touch Cover 2 for the new backlighting and reportedly improved typing. But it appears, based on the shape of the touchpad, that it is now designed like the Type Cover 2 touchpad, and seems to me like it would have poor right click accuracy. To explain what I mean, on the original Touch Cover, you can see a visible separation between the left and right click buttons, whereas on the Type Cover (and it looks like on both of the "2" covers), the left and right buttons are integrated on the pad. This causes problems if you want to right click and not let go with your left finger (causing the touchpad to think you are gesturing, and therefore sometimes not right clicking). I've come to the conclusion it only affects fast movers and not people who use 1 finger at a time on the touchpad. I don't like to lift my fingers from the touchpad, it's never been a problem in the past. That said, my original Touch Cover has been amazing over this past year and still works great. Has anyone out there noticed this issue on the new "2" covers? I definitely did on the new Type 2 (sadly). But I didn't really get to test on the Touch Cover 2. Doesn't anyone from MS read these forums? Why is this still an issue? MS, just use the touchpad from the original Touch Cover on all of the covers!

I own(ed) a Touch Cover 1 (gave it to a friend) and currently own a Type Cover 2. Performance of the trackpad on both were equally dismal. I've tested the Touch Cover 2 at Best Buy, and it isn't any better (or worse). I've given up using the trackpad except when portability is a must, and simply use a small bluetooth mouse everywhere else.

jamojamo

I own(ed) a Touch Cover 1 (gave it to a friend) and currently own a Type Cover 2. Performance of the trackpad on both were equally dismal. I've tested the Touch Cover 2 at Best Buy, and it isn't any better (or worse). I've given up using the trackpad except when portability is a must, and simply use a small bluetooth mouse everywhere else.

I've had the same experience and end up using my Arc mouse almost exclusively. I paid for it due to the fact that it flattens out for portability.