What's new

ripped video issues... help please?

go4broke

ok this is my first post on the forums. I've had my surface for about a month now and love it. I use this primarily for school but now I would like to play movies for my kids when I bring them to work. I'd rather not carry their dvds so I tried putting their movies on a micro sd. the only problem is when I play the movies from a thumb drive it plays fine but when I save it to the micro sd card my surface claims that the files are unsupported. I use a 32gb Kingston and have heard that some cards are not capable of playing videos. Is this true?

Huffalot

I rip with AnyDVD from Bluray and DVD and run through Handbreak at the native resolution of the screen, saving in MP4 and it's played everything so far. Saving onto a 64GB Sandisk SDXC card. They look fantastic

TrentonT

ok this is my first post on the forums. I've had my surface for about a month now and love it. I use this primarily for school but now I would like to play movies for my kids when I bring them to work. I'd rather not carry their dvds so I tried putting their movies on a micro sd. the only problem is when I play the movies from a thumb drive it plays fine but when I save it to the micro sd card my surface claims that the files are unsupported. I use a 32gb Kingston and have heard that some cards are not capable of playing videos. Is this true?
This has been covered several times. It deals with the way surface handles files on your SD card. this worked great for me. Looks nasty but not hard at all just follow the instruction. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...-content-library-use-primary-destination.html

compnovo

I rip with AnyDVD from Bluray and DVD and run through Handbreak at the native resolution of the screen, saving in MP4 and it's played everything so far. Saving onto a 64GB Sandisk SDXC card. They look fantastic

This.
It works flawlessly with Handbrake at the default settings.

OP
G

go4broke

Im using the video app that was factory installed. I had actually got ripped off. I returned the card to the "Game Stop" where I got it. it was a used item but they said it was still good. we looked at it closely and found that the card was actually a knock off. Oh well. Got a refund... store credit. Went over to Best Buy and got me a 64gb. I was glad to see that the remaining stock of Surfaces they had left was down to 2 each 64gb versions. Anyway formatted the card and did the hack... All is well now. Thanks guys for all the advice.