What's new

'Rotate' the Volume - Intuitive?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be honest, I'd just love for VLC to pull their finger out and make a MUI app already. Touch gestures on VLC for android completely removed my need for the volume rocker.

ptrkhh

Just need the Surface to self levitate in air for two handed operations :)

Well, if you remember this...
Screenshot%20%2858%29.jpg

silkrooster

Disagree, my Acer ICONIA A100 does that, and its quite frustrating especially when youre not looking at the screen. Sometimes the screen rotates unintentionally, and I would as well miss the volume buttons.

A physical button has to be consistent, it shouldn't change or switch its function no matter what. Otherwise it would be an onscreen button
I don't think anyone mentioned removing the original buttons. This would just be another option for those that like it. If you don't hold down the windows button, there is no way to accidently alter the volume. It could have a count of 2 or 3 seconds before starting.

silkrooster

Tilt would work ... not rotate.
Add a row of touch selectors on the other side... Windows Button + selector1 = Function1
Functions being user/app selectable from a long list of available functions. Similar to the Gesture Studio concept ... that could expand the Gesture Library as well... Selector1 + Gesture = Function.
Just need the Surface to self levitate in air for two handed operations :)
Wouldn't tilt, be flat on table vs upright like laptop? (rotation on the X axis) I was thinking like a steering wheel same as the screen rotate between vertical and horizontal.
You are right though, hand gesture could work just as well. But it has to have a physical button to stop it from accidently appearing.
Another thought I had, Was why not add Xbox voice commands.
Ex. "Surface volume up", "Surface volume down 5" and "Surface Mute"

ptrkhh

I don't think anyone mentioned removing the original buttons. This would just be another option for those that like it. If you don't hold down the windows button, there is no way to accidently alter the volume. It could have a count of 2 or 3 seconds before starting.
I was replying to the OP's idea, where s/he stated that the volume up and down button should switch function on some orientations.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Cortana control such as "volume 5" would be good.

As far as screen rotation to landscape with the Windows logo on the left, left-handed people will likely find this tablet mode useful.