What's new

[RT] Bad colors on external monitor

kirschschreib

When I connect my Surface RT to an external monitor (1080p), the color gradient on the tiles is messed up. I can see appr. 5 vertical bars in slighty different shades of the color. Why? Is it a problem with the output to the monitor? I guess it only appears at the start screen but I'm not quite sure. How can I test it? How can i solve this problem? Does anyone have the same problem?

I connect the monitor via a hdmi cable and an hdmi-->micro-hdmi adapter.
Thank you!

fredoffsamee

When I connect my Surface RT to an external monitor (1080p), the color gradient on the tiles is messed up. I can see appr. 5 vertical bars in slighty different shades of the color. Why? Is it a problem with the output to the monitor? I guess it only appears at the start screen but I'm not quite sure. How can I test it? How can i solve this problem? Does anyone have the same problem?

I connect the monitor via a hdmi cable and an hdmi-->micro-hdmi adapter.
Thank you!

I just got my rt today and em trying to hookup to external tv and em having the same issue as above user....any ideas?

CrippsCorner

Can you take a screenshot? I get this on my Surface Pro and it looks terrible, but I'm sure this was happening when it was plugged into another computer as well... so I kinda just blamed the monitor for being crap.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The most likely culprit is the angle of the Surface Case is preventing the Micro-HDMI from making a good connection. Using the official HD adapter overcomes that because it is at the same angle.

fredoffsamee

Was not the adapter..as bought ms one and did same thing....after talking to ms tech for well over a hour we both believe it had to do with updating to 8.1 and using external monitor....as once you upgrade to 8.1 the recovery partition also upgrades to 8.1 (this has been confirmed) even doing a system reset did not help...so she contacted local store near me and I went there this evening and did a exchange....now using new surface rt with rt 8 and just the updates,using a external monitor works great...colors look fine.

So was it a defective surface or rt 8.1 not playing nice using a external monitor??? If anyone with 8.1 could confirm theres works great using external monitor and 8.1,then will know it was my surface that was bad....but until then ill stick to using rt 8.0

fredoffsamee

Anyone??? Does anyone have surface rt with updated 8.1 running on external monitor and have NO color issues on that external monitor?

eljoe

Are you talking about 1st gen devices?. Just in case i use my S2 with my 32'' LCD without problems.

fredoffsamee

Are you talking about 1st gen devices?. Just in case i use my S2 with my 32'' LCD without problems.

yes talking about first gen surface rt.

with default rt 8.0 and external monitors everything looks great

after upgrading to 8.1 on external monitor colors look like crap,like external monitor is only using 256 color

CrippsCorner

The most likely culprit is the angle of the Surface Case is preventing the Micro-HDMI from making a good connection. Using the official HD adapter overcomes that because it is at the same angle.

I use the official part but get really bad lines on my monitor! Still, this happened on 8.0 as well so I'm sure my issue is different...