What's new

(RT)l ower bar doesn't appear when press and hold the icon in Metro

mla

Hello,

the lower bar doesn't appear when hold any tile when in Metro.
Let say I want to pin a shortcut to Desktop task bar or other functions that are available.
Tried to restart... no way.
How to fix this?
Thx.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Can you please clarify what you are trying to do? If I understand correctly you want to pin start apps to the desktop task bar. In that case you can't pin modern apps to the task bar. If you want to pin a desktop app to the desktop taskbar you can do it from the desktop.

Last edited:
OP
M

mla

it is not about PIN...
I cannot simulate a right-click by holding any tile in Metro. The subject and initial post stays: the lower bar doesn't appear when hold any tile when in Metro.
jneikum asked about check mark when "hold" the tile. I confirm that even check mark does not appear.

To clarify: On W8 pc when right-click on any tile while in METRO the LOWER bar with options (sorry don't know MS name of the bar) appears with different options depending on item. Pin was just an example.
The options could be: Unpin from Start, Pin to the taskbar, Uninstall, Open new windowm Run as Administrator and etc.
The question is: there is no check mark on the tile when hold it and LOWER bar doesn't appear.

OP
M

mla

sorry for bothering, called home and asked my wife to try again....
Surface was in sleep last time... Check mark is there, the bar does appear...

Things happen. Will see if the issue will return.

ArnoldC

The App Bar, as it is properly called, can be invoked if the application supports it by doing a top edge or bottom edge swipe. Or, as you may expect on some applications, it appears when an object, such as a file has been selected, but not every time depending on the application.

OP
M

mla

Arnold,
I think I tried multiple one by one... and non of them didn't provide the App Bar. Tried on W8 all icons and YES the bar was there.
May be it's me... new experience :)
Thx.

ArnoldC

@mla, if you're on the Start screen, pull down one of the App and it will be marked by a check mark, and the App Bar appears. Yes?

J515OP

Super Moderator
@mla, if you're on the Start screen, pull down one of the App and it will be marked by a check mark, and the App Bar appears. Yes?

Yes you have to "tickle" the tile. That is pull it down just a little bitt but not long press it as you would do for a right click.