What's new

RT owner, I played with the Pro today at BB

gmoooney

On the way to work today I stopped at my local Best Buy to check out the Surface Pro.

First impressions: its much thicker than I expected. Heavier, by far and LOTS hotter in the hands. My RT is so light an nimble that I had a preconception that the Pro would be similar.

The screen is gorgeous...i thought my RT's screen was nice but this thing is AMAZING. The higher resolution is easily noticed.

Its snappy fast, like jellybean 4.2 smooth. I love the transitions. Apps and full blown applications load quickly.
IE is faster, i went to YouTube and played a few 1080p videos just to see how well it looked and was amazed by the clarity of the screen.

The pen attaches to the side...magnetized in the same spot as the power connector. I did not like this very much but whatcha gonna do?

Overall...I am still not sure if I am going to grab one. I LOVE my RT but really want to be able to connect to my office's network and RDP. I also want the ability to load x86 applications.

I did not like the thickness, weight and extra heat that this thing was putting off. There was nobody in the store and all it was doing was sitting idle...and when I picked it up, it was already quite warm. Yes I know... Core i5.

Anyway I'm not sure if I will be returning my RT on Friday for a Pro or not...I've got until Tuesday of next week to make a decision.

Mozartwon

On the way to work today I stopped at my local Best Buy to check out the Surface Pro.

First impressions: its much thicker than I expected. Heavier, by far and LOTS hotter in the hands. My RT is so light an nimble that I had a preconception that the Pro would be similar.

The screen is gorgeous...i thought my RT's screen was nice but this thing is AMAZING. The higher resolution is easily noticed.

Its snappy fast, like jellybean 4.2 smooth. I love the transitions. Apps and full blown applications load quickly.
IE is faster, i went to YouTube and played a few 1080p videos just to see how well it looked and was amazed by the clarity of the screen.

The pen attaches to the side...magnetized in the same spot as the power connector. I did not like this very much but whatcha gonna do?

Overall...I am still not sure if I am going to grab one. I LOVE my RT but really want to be able to connect to my office's network and RDP. I also want the ability to load x86 applications.

I did not like the thickness, weight and extra heat that this thing was putting off. There was nobody in the store and all it was doing was sitting idle...and when I picked it up, it was already quite warm. Yes I know... Core i5.

Anyway I'm not sure if I will be returning my RT on Friday for a Pro or not...I've got until Tuesday of next week to make a decision.

That was my impression as well. Much thicker and heavier then I was expecting. I was all set to put my preorder in at Microsoft's flagship store in Tyson's Corner Va. Not sure now.

magicrobots

Very interesting about the heat! And the thickness! I was wondering how it was going to feel in the hand ... sad to hear it's so different than the RT.

EDIT: It's still .5 pound lighter than the Asus Taichi; my other dream machine.

Last edited:

tonyz3

I had a few mins with one today as well. Loved everything about it. I had my wifes rt for comparison. A good way to think of the pro thickness w/o cover was about equal to the rt with the touch cover. same with the weight. for me the diff did not make me change my mind about getting it. Dam the picture and speed is beautiful and fast. The heat was not bad and I was running it hard for about a half an hour. my opinion it is really nice and I am counting the days to get it.:LOL:

I was also surprised at the thickness and the heat (athough it wasn't burning), but didn't find it was heavy at all. I would like to trade up but I think it is better this way as the RT does almost everything I need for now. It is a beautiful product and I can only hope it does well out there to bring more interest to the RT even if it takes until RT 2 to built up that interest.

bosamar

I actually think that with the kickstand feature on the Pro (max surface space exposed to air) it will make the heat dissipate much faster. How's that for engineering!