What's new

RT & Pro screen comparison

MSurfaceWA

Consider this anecdotal information, but the other day I went to Best Buy and they had a Pro and an RT side by side on a table. I thought it would be a decent time to do a comparison on the screens, as that was initially one of my concerns with the RT. While you can definitely notice the HD resolution on the Pro, I can't say the difference between the two screens was overwhelming. The most noticeable difference was on text, but even then it wasn't an out of this world difference, more like an extra level of sharpness, and the RT screen compared well even when zooming in. Again, the Pro screen is definitely nicer, but I was impressed at the way the RT screen held up in comparison. Additionally, I tested timing the transitions when opening the web browser, the store, email app, etc... This is where the Pro shined as applications generally opened faster and transitioned quicker. But again, the timing was not life altering, in most cases it was less than a second difference, but it did feel much snappier in general.

I like the Pro, but the increased size, weight, heat, and reduced battery life is not enough to make me switch. After living with the RT this long, I can't believe what a raw deal its been getting in comparison to other tabs. I am trying to stay unbiased, but this little machine is turning me into a fanatic! Its turned into my primary tool for browsing, email, gaming, movies, and general content creation. I hope the platform continues to be supported by app developers.

bosamar

My sentiments exactly. I compared the two last weekend at a MS store. My RT is just wonderful and compared to the Pro I don't believe paying twice the price for what I use it for is worth it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
It really just depends on use. If you need all out power and legacy apps the only choice is Pro. Crazily people are even complaining about the gaming performance of the Pro as not being powerful enough (news flash guys, it isn't a gaming rig ;)).

The RT is a powerful little machine though. ARM processors may not be able to match Intel processors in raw power but for most people in most situations RT is going to be enough. It can handle casual tablet gaming (yes it is only a tablet after all), has general Windows support features (usb connectivity and drivers, a file system, simple Windows network connectivity to other machines), Office that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, multiple user accounts and can easily RDP into other Windows machines for even more power. This covers 95% of what people looking for a "more powerful tablet" need and can for the most part cover the light laptop scenarios for those people. For everything else you can use a regular PC (including the Surface Pro).

Russ

I have had the Pro and my RT side by side on my coffee table for almost a week now, as you probably know from my posts on the Pro. They are both wonderful machines, but they are different animals. I bought the RT for myself, because I assessed my needs and uses, and it fits best. I bought the Pro for my Ladyfriend, because the RT would not meet her needs.

Nothing has changed. If I were buying today, I would still buy the RT for me and the Pro for her.

Take care,
Russ

compnovo

"I like the Pro, but the increased size, weight, heat, and reduced battery life is not enough to make me switch."

^This^

"Nothing has changed. If I were buying today, I would still buy the RT for me"

^And This^

bradhaak

In the default landscape mode, the difference in screens is not that noticeable because of the sub-pixel anti-aliasing that MS uses on the RT (Cleartype).

If you want to see the true difference, turn them both to portrait mode with a screen full of text. The anti-aliasing doen't work in portrait mode and the difference is much more apparent.

But for landscape, I agree that the difference is negligible to my 53 year-old eyes.

ArnoldC

I read in one review posted here, that the Pro's color calibration is off, specially compared to the RT. When I got the RT, I was concerned I can't calibrate it with my Spyder. It was a pleasant surprise I don't have to, as it is better than my Acer S3 properly calobrated.

I'm sure the Pro when properly calibrated will be stunning.

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

Bradhaak that is good info, I did not test them side by side in portrait mode, only landscape. If I get the opportunity I will try that and see how measurable the difference is to my eyes. I guess I am fortunate that I use the RT in landscape mode about 98% of the time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I read in one review posted here, that the Pro's color calibration is off, specially compared to the RT. When I got the RT, I was concerned I can't calibrate it with my Spyder. It was a pleasant surprise I don't have to, as it is better than my Acer S3 properly calobrated.

I'm sure the Pro when properly calibrated will be stunning.

Yes, it is the Anand Tech review I believe. After calibration the Pro screen kicks butt. Unfortunately out of the box it isn't so good.

ArnoldC

Bradhaak that is good info, I did not test them side by side in portrait mode, only landscape. If I get the opportunity I will try that and see how measurable the difference is to my eyes. I guess I am fortunate that I use the RT in landscape mode about 98% of the time.

Browsing the web could be pretty ugly...

Screenshot135_zpsc47cb248.png

PDF, ain't bad

Screenshot136_zps482b58fe.png

Rallicat

A lot of people are drawn to the Pro because it's 'better' - better specs, better screen, bigger drives etc.
However I personally think that this is 'old world' thinking.

The real question is whether you need (and I mean really need) Desktop apps (beyond Office of course, since that comes built-in on the RT).
If you're using the Surface RT as a secondary device to a main desktop PC (like me), then you'll probably be able to do without desktop software. Most of the stuff you do is web-based, or there will be apps available. Light users who choose the RT as their only device will probably be quite happy too.

In business things might be different - desktop software is going to be much more important there.

I for one feel that for my needs, RT is an excellent tablet - I just don't feel the need to 'go pro'.