What's new

[Rumor] Microsoft May Be Working on a 7-Inch Xbox Surface Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
xbox-surface-tablet.jpeg

Apparently, Microsoft is very serious about pushing hard into the tablet market, and this latest rumor seems to support that assertion. According to the latest intel, Microsoft if working on a 7-inch gaming tablet that will be called the XBOX Surface. Here's a quote with a few more details,

The rumor is that the 7-inch Xbox Surface will feature a custom-built ARM processor, and a high-bandwidth RAM specifically chosen for games.

However the Xbox Surface is allegedly being developed neutral to the hardware, and it could also be powered by an Intel chip.

Don’t expect this to run full Windows. Instead, you are likely to get a custom kernel. It is not perfectly clear whether this would be a general-purpose device like the iPad mini, but it seems that while it may support messaging and other features, the gaming focus will be noticeable all around.

Manufacturing is happening in facilities where Microsoft is already building other products, but under higher secrecy. Some of the development is allegedly happening at Microsoft’s US offices.

If this rumor turns out to be accurate, does this get your adrenaline pumping?

Source: Phone Arena

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hmm, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Aren't all the handhelds dying because people would rather game on their tablet they are already doing everything else on? PSP, PS Vita, Nintendo DS/3DS all shrinking in sales an relevance because tablets are eating their lunch. There is still a market of hard core gamers buying these devices but not the mass public as in the past.

A dedicated gaming tablet seems to fail both groups. Hardcore wants physical controls and casual gamers want to use their tablet for other purposes. Not to mention game developers just aren't interested in selling complex platforms to a small niche when they can sell simple games to millions. Unless they have a way for developers to easily port xbox games this thing is DOA. Even if it gets xbox games the market for dedicated gaming machines is rapidly shrinking.

recon0828

I play my Xbox 360 everyday and it would be awesome if MS made one. It could go along nicely with the next xbox and the intergration between the two could be very interesting. Imagine playing AAA titles on something like this. It would be awesome.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I play my Xbox 360 everyday and it would be awesome if MS made one. It could go along nicely with the next xbox and the intergration between the two could be very interesting. Imagine playing AAA titles on something like this. It would be awesome.

Would you buy a tablet dedicated only to gaming if you already bought a Surface tablet and and Xbox? I suppose it also depends on the price but I am guessing more than the $250 price of a 32GB Nexus 7.

recon0828

I would buy one in a heart beat. If they are able to make a Gears of War or some other game of that caliber then i wouldn't hesitate. They would need to get all major developers on board in order for this to succeed. Having both a Surface and an xbox tablet would give me both the functionality and gaming capabilities that I've always wanted. Price does matter and if they can keep it reasonably priced then I think it will do well.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
I love my Nexus7 and lately it's been my tablet of choice for browsing from the couch. I think it would be a good idea to compete with the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini.

Astrix

Super Moderator
Surface RT/Pro will be my laptop. Anyway I don't have a laptop.

7inch will replace my Galaxy Tab 7.7.

Just can't wait availability in Singapore.

Tried Samsung and Dell demo set, but much prefer Surface even I not yet touch it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I love my Nexus7 and lately it's been my tablet of choice for browsing from the couch. I think it would be a good idea to compete with the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini.

That is assuming you can do more than game on it. If not, it doesn't compete with other small tablets. The way I read it, this would be like a Nintendo 3DS or PS Vita for gaming only. Hardcore gamers like recon would go for it but why would the average consumer buy a 7" tablet just for gaming? The market for hand held gaming is collapsing under the weight of tablets. There will always be a group of gamers for these devices but the average kid is now going to use their iPod touch or Nexus 7 to play "Where's My Water" or "Angry Birds."

My point is this better be a 7" tablet that is optimized for gaming and not 7" gaming device that only plays Xbox titles. One has a large market and the other one is most likely a waste of MS resources when they are trying to launch 3 new OSes (Win8, WinRT, WP8), two new tablets a new gaming system (Xbox 720) and multiple other software endeavors (SkyDrive, Office 365, Skype, Xbox live music and movies...)