What's new

[Rumor] New Leaked Info Again Suggests Surface Prices will be $600 and $1000

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Microsoft-Surface-pricing.jpg

Supposedly, the above pic is leaked intel that confirms the pricing for the new Microsoft Surface Tablets. As you can see in the pic, the new prices seem to confirm earlier reports of $599 for the RT model and $999 for the Pro model. This is actually partially contrary to a report we just shared a couple days ago indicating that the Pro version would start at $799. Of course, nothing is truly confirmed until the device actually comes to market, and that won't likely happen until October. Between now and then, Microsoft might actually get smart and realize that they need to sell the RT version more competitively vs the iPad.

On a separate note, this fresh intel also seems to confirm that the first Surface devices will not come with an type of 3G/4G capabilities, but will instead be WiFi only.

Source: TheNextWeb

J515OP

Super Moderator
This seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't understand how anybody can reasonably expect them to be much cheaper or feel these aren't competitively priced with the iPad.

wifi only iPad $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 32GB ~= Surface RT $599 for 32GB and $699? for 64GB ~= Top of the line Android tablet prices

Surface 8 Pro has nothing comparable to it tablet wise having an Intel Core i5 processor and 64/128GB storage plus possible 4GB of RAM. You have to look at MB Air and Ultrabooks which are around $1,000 for those sorts of specs.

How is this anything but reasonable price wise?

leeshor

The single biggest sticking point for the RT will be apps. So far, all we know is Office (with no Outlook), and maybe a few items from the Store, but APKs will need to be written to run under Windows RT.

Jeffrey

The win 8 pro may have a shot with corporate buyers. But the RT will have a tough climb against Android and Apple... JMO

leeshor

The win 8 pro may have a shot with corporate buyers. But the RT will have a tough climb against Android and Apple... JMO

Totally agree. But even the Pro may be limited. If the programs are anywhere near the size of the normal Windows programs people are going to be really tight on SSD space in a big hurry unless they fork over cash for the larger memory. I know that many of my customers would run out of space with just a couple of the programs they run.

But running on an SSD it should be pretty quick.