What's new

[Rumor] New Rumors Suggest Surface Prices to Start at $599 and Up

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
MIcrosoft-Surface-Pro1-black.jpg

Here's a new rumor that we want to turn out to be false. Obviously the big news a couple days ago was the launch of Microsoft's new Surface Windows Tablet. The most conspicuous thing that came out of that announcement wasn't a new feature or spec that Microsoft shared. Instead it was something that was not said, mainly pricing details. For some reason Microsoft chose not to share any pricing info at that time. Early rumors started swirling which pegged the price point at $500 for the RT version and $1000 for the Pro version; however, some new intel from DigiTimes suggests that the price point could be even higher than that in some cases or lower in others.

Specifically, the new rumor suggests that the Windows RT (ARM) version of the Surface will sell for $599.99, and the Windows 8 Pro (Intel) version will sell for $799.99. While the Pro version's new rumor is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the previous rumor, the RT version went up by $100 bucks. This could make it a bit less attractive to consumers who might consider this over the Apple product, which sells for just $499.99.

If this is true, then it makes Microsoft's new strategy even riskier. They already risk alienating their other Windows Tablet OEM partners because they will be designing a device that competes directly with them. Now, they may be offering that device at a "less-than-competitive" price point. All we can do at this point is cross our fingers that Microsoft will do the smart thing and sell the device at a more competitive price.

Here's a quote from DigiTimes with some of the details,

Sources from notebook players have revealed that Microsoft's 10.6-inch Surface tablet PCs will be outsourced to Pegatron Technology for assembly; however, there is still not a firm estimate for order volumes.

The sources also estimated the end-market price of the Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet PC with Ivy Bridge processor to be at least above US$799, while the Windows RT-based model, featuring Nvidia's Tegra 3, will be priced above US$599.

Source: WindowsTabletForum via DigiTimes

Ben_J_H

Sounds good! I paid 600 for the one I have now and would be more than happy to for a better one

JobsiteFish

$600 for the RT version would not surprise me, as long as Microsoft offers a stable platform I think those prices would be fair.