What's new

[Rumor] Stephen Elop May Have Killed the Microsoft Surface Mini Idea

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
tech-stephen-elop.jpg

The cold, dreaded hands of Microsoft devices and services boss Stephen Elop are now apparently responsible for killing off another product. Bloomberg is reporting that Elop, who most famously ordered the death of the once-dominant Symbian platform during his tenure as Nokia’s CEO, was responsible for axing a smaller, cheaper version of Microsoft’s Surface tablet that was tentatively called the Surface mini.

Bloomberg’s sources say Elop was worried that the smaller Surface didn’t do enough to differentiate itself from smaller tablets such as the iPad mini and the Nexus 7 and would thus be a flop comparable to the first-generation Surface RT. Speaking of the Surface RT, Bloomberg also notes that shipping a device that runs on Windows RT is basically a nonstarter at this point since all major OEMs have abandoned it and it doesn’t have anywhere near the number of apps that Windows 8 has.

Continue Reading @: Microsoft Surface mini release reportedly killed by Elop | BGR

kevinlevrone

Do they really let this guy who sunk Nokia to have word about Microsoft's devices ? A digitizer and a Type Cover would not have been enough to differentiate a Surface Mini from an iPad Mini ?

They should have done a Surface Mini Pro with the newest 64-bit Intel Atom, digitizer, full Windows 8.1 and optional type keyboard and they would have ran rings around the iPad Mini. Surface Pro 3 is very big and expensive to be used by students for taking notes, waste of computing power too, an inexpensive Surface Mini Pro would have been exactly what was needed. Dell Venue 8 Pro could have been easily surpassed with a higher resolution, better calibrated screen and a better digitizer.

Last edited:
Do they really let this guy who sunk Nokia to have word about Microsoft's devices ? A digitizer and a Type Cover would not have been enough to differentiate a Surface Mini from an iPad Mini ?

They should have done a Surface Mini Pro with the newest 64-bit Intel Atom, digitizer, full Windows 8.1 and optional type keyboard and they would have ran rings around the iPad Mini. Surface Pro 3 is very big and expensive to be used by students for taking notes, waste of computing power too, an inexpensive Surface Mini Pro would have been exactly what was needed. Dell Venue 8 Pro could have been easily surpassed with a higher resolution, better calibrated screen and a better digitizer.
Perhaps you have not been paying attention to what Microsoft has been trying to do with the Surface line of tablets. "Inexpensive" is not one of their goals. It is to develop a premium line of devices. That costs money. A Surface Pro Mini would cost a minimum of $400. What market is there for THAT?

thegrinch

I'd like to see a Surface "mini" or whatever smaller form factor. However, I do find it sort of against what MS is preaching in terms of using only one device. Would releasing a "mini" (even if it was somehow a full fledged pro model) go against the "..tablet that can replace your laptop..." mantra? Again, I'd like to see something smaller but think MS might have pigeon-holed themselves a bit here?

In either case, I think it was a smart move to at least delay the mini and refactor at this point.

daniielrp

Perhaps you have not been paying attention to what Microsoft has been trying to do with the Surface line of tablets. "Inexpensive" is not one of their goals. It is to develop a premium line of devices. That costs money. A Surface Pro Mini would cost a minimum of $400. What market is there for THAT?

Errr... This one?

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 01.16.20.png

I'd like to see a Surface "mini" or whatever smaller form factor. However, I do find it sort of against what MS is preaching in terms of using only one device.

This seems more likely, what with Panos Panay going on about not having to carry a laptop and a tablet, would be a bit odd for them to go...

"Surface Pro 3 combines tablet and laptop, so it is the only device you need. Oh and here's smaller companion device to carry with it".

:p

Last edited:
errr.... no.

There's a market for a iOS tablet in a mini form factor... because there is only one. If anyone wants a mini iOS tablet it is the iPad mini or nothing.

With Windows, there is the Dell Venue Pro 8 for $210. There's the Toshiba and a few others at $220-$250. A person interested in a mini Windows tablet has options. In that context, a $399 Windows 8.1 Surface Mini is going to be a tough sell.

daniielrp

errr.... no.

There's a market for a iOS tablet in a mini form factor... because there is only one. If anyone wants a mini iOS tablet it is the iPad mini or nothing.

With Windows, there is the Dell Venue Pro 8 for $210. There's the Toshiba and a few others at $220-$250. A person interested in a mini Windows tablet has options. In that context, a $399 Windows 8.1 Surface Mini is going to be a tough sell.

But you could use that exact argument with the current Surfaces - there are plenty of cheap devices that can run windows on a 10-12" screen, yet Microsoft charge more for their own device knowing it will be a tough sell, so why not do the same with the Mini?

But you could use that exact argument with the current Surfaces - there are plenty of cheap devices that can run windows on a 10-12" screen, yet Microsoft charge more for their own device knowing it will be a tough sell, so why not do the same with the Mini?
Why not? Because the lower screen size and target price for such a device would put the Surface Mini significantly out of the target price.

In the Rethinking Microsoft Strategy thread on 5/24 I mentioned that with Microsoft reducing the license fee for Windows 8.1 to expect to see 8" tablets break below $200.

Toshiba just announced today (5/27) an upgrade to their Encore 8" tab... $199. With retail incentives, we'll be able to buy them for $180 on sale. I find it hard to believe that a $399 Surface Mini running Windows 8.1 is going to sell much.

I'm not saying that NOBODY wants one... but that the market for a premium 8" Windows tablet is probably SMALLER than for a 10"-12" screen.

Last edited: