What's new

Runnign 24.7

puma

Can I run the sp2 full time if need be without causing it damage? Having it docked or undocked on all day?

Korlon

I've had my sp2 running 24/7 for over a month and there doesn't seem to be any egregious battery wear. It's been plugged in to the AC for about 60% of the day (end of the day and overnight) and I have my settings at never sleep when plugged in.

tech57

Mine is in the docking station 8 - 10 hours per day, 6 days per week, 5 months and counting.
Connected to wifi 100% of the time while in docking station.
Microsoft ARC wireless keyboard and Sculpt mouse.
MS Office, email, Photoshop, and the company online CRM are the applications.
I have experienced NO issues, no fans, no wifi connectivity issues.
My SP2 Pro rocks!

jollywombat

Mine usually runs 24/7. 70% of the time in the dock, rest of it on the go, BT and wifi enabled all the time. No issues here.

Deckyon

The network engineer comes out in me here. These devices are not meant to run 24/7. Can you? Sure, but you will cut the life of the device overall. If you dont have to run it, dont. Put it to sleep, set it on a schedule, but give it some down-time.

xramz

The network engineer comes out in me here. These devices are not meant to run 24/7. Can you? Sure, but you will cut the life of the device overall. If you dont have to run it, dont. Put it to sleep, set it on a schedule, but give it some down-time.

So you never have to shut down only put it to sleep?

Deckyon

once in a while, every computer needs a reboot (on the consumer level). I run with 2 laptops, desktop, 2 tablets.
1. MacMini - runs 24/7 as a media server. It is located in a well-ventilated area. I do maintenance once a month on it and reboot.
2. MacBook Pro - I close the lid (sleep mode) when I am not using it, and like the MacMini, I do maintenance once a month and reboot for sure then. When I take it out of the house, I shut it down.
3. Work laptop, Windows 7. I put it to sleep when I leave the office. SSD so no moving parts. I shut down every Friday.
4. iPad - well, sleep is the only real method. There is a hard shutdown, but it isnt needed.
5. SP2 - I shut down overnight. It is so quick to come up, it is really not noticeable. During the day, I just put it to sleep.

Computers on the consumer level, especially laptops (which, in reality, the SP2 is) are not designed to run 24/7.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Modern Systems like the BayTrail Atom, Core Series and ARM SoCs will run fine without powering down (rebooting when needed). Using Sleep is fine, your battery has a shelf life of a set amount of charges, at least once a month run the machine battery below 30%. Your Pro or Pro 2 should last 3 years, will the battery show sign s of wear? Of course...

jrapdx

Modern Systems like the BayTrail Atom, Core Series and ARM SoCs will run fine without powering down (rebooting when needed). Using Sleep is fine, your battery has a shelf life of a set amount of charges, at least once a month run the machine battery below 30%. Your Pro or Pro 2 should last 3 years, will the battery show sign s of wear? Of course...

Just curious, but what is the "normal", or anticipated rate of decline of SP2 battery charge capacity?

After 3 months of use ("Cycle Count" == 23), battery report shows battery capacity of 40,352 mWh, about 2000 mWh less vs. the original capacity. It's probably too soon to make projections, but if it keeps going this way, in 3 years the battery would have about 1/2 its initial capacity.

Too bad the battery isn't replaceable. A 3 year lifespan seems kind of short, considering the hefty financial investment required to own an SP2, and time it's taking to work out all its glitches.