What's new

Running out of Disc Space- how to clear app data that isn't showing

forhumors

Hi all,

I got my Surface 3 secondhand and have been using it for taking notes in medical school, printing powerpoints to OneNote. Recently, it has started telling me that the memory is close to full. A few times I have not been able to download powerpoints to it because of disc space. I have deleted my downloads, moved all extra files to a 16gb microSD card, cleared my temporary files, deleted a lot of the standard apps. However, it keeps on filling up again in a matter of days.

The most frustrating part is that when I check system memory, it tells me that I am using up 32.6 gb in apps and games. However, when I check the specifics, the largest app I have is OneNote at ~3gb, two other microsoft apps clocking in at 2gb each, 6 apps in the megabyte range, and then around 20 that are kilobytes. It does not add up to 32. Are there apps on my device that are not showing?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Changed your title - as the How To is a tutorial header.

Are you running Windows 8.1 or 10?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

See the disk cleanup link in my signature. A lot of 3what may be taking up space is the folder that has the old Windows in it. Check my thread as there are 2 other places to look.

OP
F

forhumors

Thanks, I followed your advice on steps 1-4. I did get my storage down by 1.1 gb, but I still have about 25 gb taken up in "apps and games" that I cannot account for. Any further suggestions?

leeshor

I'm a little surprised that's all you cleaned up. (better than nothing), Do you have a windows.old folder off the root of C: ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Click on Settings....System....Storage....Select your C Drive

upload_2016-2-8_19-54-55.png

Select Apps & games

upload_2016-2-8_19-55-36.png

upload_2016-2-8_19-56-45.png

Select the App you want to clean up

Also scroll down and clean Temp Files

upload_2016-2-8_19-57-55.png