What's new

Running RT apps on the Surface Pro?

J515OP

Super Moderator
What you said

Now I am curious. You are saying that Windows RT apps should only run on Windows RT? What is the point of that? Usually the fewer restrictions on where you can use things, the better. Legacy apps from x86 is an exception when looking to Windows RT because the change to the ARM architecture is prohibitive.

ArnoldC

If one looks at the applications at the store, Modern UI applications are *always* available for ARM, x86, and x64. I don't quite get the point of trying to run ARM Modern UI apps in x86 or x64 platforms.

R0bR

If one looks at the applications at the store, Modern UI applications are *always* available for ARM, x86, and x64. I don't quite get the point of trying to run ARM Modern UI apps in x86 or x64 platforms.

Not all Modern UI apps are available for RT, the Microsoft games Mahjong, TapTiles and Solitaire were only available for x86/x64 when Surface was released. Only recently have these apps become available for RT. However, I will say that all RT apps are available for x86/x64, I don't think I have come across one app that was specific to RT only.

Rallicat

I think the point has been sort of missed! Is the OP asking whether Windows Store apps will run on Windows 8 Pro? (Answer: Yes) or whether the Copy of Office that comes with Surface RT can run on Windows 8 Pro (Answer: No).

Remember, Windows Store apps all make use of the new 'WinRT' app framework, and so far, the vast majority can run on both x86, x64 and ARM architectures. There have been a handful that /won't/ run on ARM, but those are very much in the minority.

OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

I think the point has been sort of missed! Is the OP asking whether Windows Store apps will run on Windows 8 Pro? (Answer: Yes) or whether the Copy of Office that comes with Surface RT can run on Windows 8 Pro (Answer: No).

Remember, Windows Store apps all make use of the new 'WinRT' app framework, and so far, the vast majority can run on both x86, x64 and ARM architectures. There have been a handful that /won't/ run on ARM, but those are very much in the minority.

Rallicat, you hit the 'head on the nail' [sic]. I was just wondering if I bought a Pro, could I run apps like netflix, hulu and (presumably) Amazon MP3. Or would I have to run them through ie on their website (yicch). Thanks for clearing that up for me in english!

bosamar

I've looked at several apps in the store and they all support ARM/x86/x64. Haven't found any that just support ARM or x86/x64

J515OP

Super Moderator
No, surface apps only runs on windows RT

Theoretically it is possible to only run on one or the other but why would any developer choose to do so? With basically one click they can make apps run on both and not limit their user base.

Sin and bosamar are correct.

bosamar

Theoretically it is possible to only run on one or the other but why would any developer choose to do so? With basically one click they can make apps run on both and not limit their user base.

Sin and bosamar are correct.
Believe me, if I can figure it out ANYONE can. :big smile:

illidanx

No, surface apps only runs on windows RT

This answer is really misleading. It's ironic that your username is surfacetablethelp but the answer is not helpful at all. 99.999% of windows store apps that run on RT will run on x86/x64 architecture. There is one app that can only run on RT, the name is "The great big war game". I dont even know why the developer choose not to compile the app for x64/x86 architecture.

R0bR

There have been apps that initially didn't run on RT, 3 specific ones that I know of because I looked for them were Microsoft Solitaire, Microsoft Mahjong and Microsoft Tap Tiles. All three were only available for Windows 8 only and had a note stating that ARM support coming soon. I know I came across others but it's not noticeably when looking through the Store in RT because it always list ARM compatible apps. You would notice it more from Windows 8 if the App didn't support ARM.