What's new

Running slow, eating battery and bandwidth?

leeshor

A lot of people have been complaining about several things on Windows 10. Up to a point the sluggishness after an upgrade, and the battery use, can both be explained in part by the maintenance Windows 10 does, sometimes for quite a while after the upgrade. As I have pointed out here and on 2 other forums, not having a drive activity light puts tablet and newer laptop owners at a disadvantage and the disk activity is difficult or impossible to pin down in task manager when it's core services that are running.

I have wondered if anyone has had Windows 10 long enough to notice an increase in their Internet usage. One other thing that has been missing for a while now, not just in Widows 10, (unless you had a widget which is no longer available), is an up front Internet or network use meter/indicator.

Just now read an article that will make many of you look/see. And it could be a partial answer for some going forward. Especially if you were not aware or forgot about this little tidbit.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955...-to-update-strangers-systems.html#tk.nl_today

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turned that off on first sight. I used the original Groove back in the day which synced content ... ugh.

Compusmurf

If you have multiple PC's on your local network (wife's, kids, etc) you should set that to local network only. If you don't and have unl high speed, it's up to you to decide to be a good neighbor or not. I have all ours set to local only.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad you cant set to Receive from local computer or Microsoft only vs Sending to local computers. That would allow you to designate a local Master. Id be ok with my desktop sharing the downloads but I don't want my Surface(s) doing that..

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glasswire is a pretty decent tool for monitoring where your datas are running off to. Tells you exactly what app or service is using what data at any point, and gives you historical records and all that lot. I believe the paid version has many more features that would confuse me.

I clicked check for updates from control panel, and straight away COM Surrogate popped up and the app gave me info about where it was connecting to, bandwidth etc.
Screenshot (10).png

What does the Host Process Service really represent? It has already racked up 120mb of upload since I posted this post. Yet it only appears to increase when i'm running utorrent. I thought it was just related to windows services.

Last edited:
OP
leeshor

leeshor

The Host Process is what I was addressing in the first post. It's a conglomeration of things Windows is doing. It's kinda like the master controller of "things". People have been asking the same thing about Google Services on their phones. It's a bunch of stuff!;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Host Process is what I was addressing in the first post. It's a conglomeration of things Windows is doing. It's kinda like the master controller of "things". People have been asking the same thing about Google Services on their phones. It's a bunch of stuff!;)

I am aware of that. Allow me to rephrase. Given utorrent has its own process, would it allso be doing things within the host process? The host process was only consuming data while utorrent was downloading. Utorrent showed that it had downloaded the right amount of data, but the host process downloaded (and uploaded) a further 800mb on top.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a bit odd that it would result in downloading 20% more data than was needed.