What's new

Running the heck out of an i3.

RémiM

Hello there !

look, I am also a teacher. I work at University and use my SP3 all the time. For my teaching (OneNote plugged to projector and other things) and for my research (I run physics modeling softwares, C++ compilers, Latex, Gnuplot and a bunch of other things). Spotify is running in the background all the time. My SP3 is never resting.

I am a devoted Linux guy and surprisingly I left my Linux computer a little bit since I got the SP3.

I stopped all the indexing options. I know where I put my shit, I dont need them. And so far so good. Most of the time I run without any antivirus or firewall, except when I am using a public network.

My SP3 idles at 8-9% of RAM use, never gets hot (or one a while if something running hard), and is always there for me. I also use it a lot in my couch and in my bed for Netflix and stupid web browsing.

To be honnest with you, I am still babysitting it and I also feel a bit worry using it a lot. But you know what ? I didn't spend 1500$ not to use it. I know I will buy the next iteration, or the one after, and I am sure this beautiful SP3 will still be in top shape.

So dont worry. Keep doing what you do. Your SP3 was designed for it. It's made to handle hours and hours of work. And most of the time stuffs are designed for situations that you will never reach in your normal daily use.

I know what it is to spend a lot of money on something and to be worried to brake it or using it too much. But it has to remain a pleasure and not constraint.

And if all that is not enough, I suggest you subscribe to the Complete care plan.

Bye :)

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

To be honnest with you, I am still babysitting it and I also feel a bit worry using it a lot. But you know what ? I didn't spend 1500$ not to use it. I know I will buy the next iteration, or the one after, and I am sure this beautiful SP3 will still be in top shape.

So dont worry. Keep doing what you do. Your SP3 was designed for it. It's made to handle hours and hours of work. And most of the time stuffs are designed for situations that you will never reach in your normal daily use.

I know what it is to spend a lot of money on something and to be worried to brake it or using it too much. But it has to remain a pleasure and not constraint.

And if all that is not enough, I suggest you subscribe to the Complete care plan.

Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated!! I'll try to keep the worrying to a minimum. I'm sure I'll be buying the next generation of Surface as well, and I did get the Microsoft Complete Care plan. :)

bluegrass

A computer getting hot is normal if it's worked hard. Believe me the only bad thing that might happen from working your computer really hard is it might lock up and need to be rebooted or what your doing might slow down if you have a lot of apps or processes running. Don't worry about it getting hot. I'm a tech and have worked on computers for 45 years. These new micro computers or designed to protect themselves from over heating.

MartyB

I guess you already had your reply, but I'll throw mine in:
Short answer: no. So long as you do not cause any physical harm (by dropping it on concrete, for example), it should last a good long while. Other than the hinge, it effectively contains no moving parts. Electronic parts do wear out over time, it's just that it takes them an awfully long time to do so. The machine itself is configured to throttle back when it starts getting too hot for its own good. With your i3, even that that will rarely happen. With proper physical handling, it should last years.

Aeron15

Hi, I am also using the i3. I did have problems with the pen at the start. It was opening OneNote but not doing the double click screen shot. I tried updating it and then uninstalling and re-installing OneNote until it finally worked. There were times when the pen loses its connection to the SP3, I just paired it again and it work. If yours still doesn't work regardless of how much troubleshooting you've done, then I guess returning the pen or having it fix will be the only solution.

I have mine for about 2 months now and so far no grave problems with the i3. I did have a problem connecting with my printer once and it remains unsolved as I was in a hurry at that moment and just decided to transfer my file to a flash drive and print it. Not sure if it was a driver problem or something. I will try and fix this after my exams though because I have no time to try out the troubleshooting methods :D

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Your printer situation sounds a lot like mine @Aeron15 Microsoft just replaced my SP3 yesterday because Windows would not boot up at all. They really are awesome! I haven't tried to re-install the printer yet because I'm in a good mood and don't want to ruin that. LOL