What's new

S3 driver needed for running Windows 8.1 on SP4

ptrkhh

Hello, I am experimenting with installing Windows 8.1 on the Surface Pro 4. As you might already know, the MS doesn't provide the 8.1 drivers for the SP4. Thankfully, it shares some components with the SP3, like the wireless module, so most components works with SP3 drivers or forced-installed Windows 10 SP4 drivers. Right now, I am missing the driver for the camera and buttons.

I figured that the SP4 and S3 might share the same components. If you have a Surface 3 running Windows 8.1, it would be super nice if you could share the drivers.

Alright, to the technical stuff.

1. You need to copy the files inside "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" to any folder
2. You can delete the graphics driver, as it takes a lot of space. It usually starts with "igd"
3. Zip it up and upload it to OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

*(I can't pull the drivers from Windows Update, since MS made it clear that they didn't put S3 drivers in Windows Update. They also removed the drivers package from the official Download Center.)*

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry is this a S3 - Surface 3 (Atom) driver you seek OR an SP3 - Surface Pro 3 driver?
I know it's a small difference but nonetheless important.

OP
P

ptrkhh

So even we cannot access 8.1 drivers for the S3 from MS? That is f'd up.

If youre on the Surface 3 device, Windows Update can pull up the "System Firmware Update" package. But not with the traditional method: Windows Update detects the Vendor and Product ID of each component and match with the driver on their server. Its all-or-nothing approach here, and since my system is not a "Surface 3", WU wont pull the package.

I'm sorry is this a S3 - Surface 3 (Atom) driver you seek OR an SP3 - Surface Pro 3 driver?
I know it's a small difference but nonetheless important.

The S3, Atom one. I have a SP3 and pulled the drivers already, solving some of the warning lights in the Device Manager. I think i can shave the remaining warning lights with S3 drivers, especially since the camera and buttons of the S3 are more similar to the SP4.