What's new

S3 Screen Flicker + What driver?

Arachadonic

While I know this is apparently a common issue, the only helpful thread I could find was 2 years old and the driver page non-existant now.

I love my new S3 however I've noticed that the screen keeps hiring/lowering the brightness automatically even when auto-brightness is turned off. Its very annoying.

I know a fix is to install intel hd control panel or whatever but I don't know what driver to install as I cant find the details about what Intel HD graphics type is in this hybrid!!

Please please help.

Thanks.

GoodBytes

It is Intel integrated graphics for you, sadly.
Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 also faces this problem, and I expect the Pro 4 and so on do as well, same for all laptops powered by Intel integrated graphics (at least they have their Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, however).

For Atom based CPUs, I don't think Intel provides the drivers.

What version of Windows do you have? Windows 8 or Windows 10?

OP
A

Arachadonic

It is Intel integrated graphics for you, sadly.
Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3 also faces this problem, and I expect the Pro 4 and so on do as well, same for all laptops powered by Intel integrated graphics (at least they have their Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, however).

For Atom based CPUs, I don't think Intel provides the drivers.

What version of Windows do you have? Windows 8 or Windows 10?
I upgraded to Windows 10 so I could use the tablet/laptop function better (which I really am loving).

My understanding is that the solution is located in post #11 in this thread:

SP2 Screen Flicker | Microsoft Surface Forums

However all the driver links posted are for the SP2 and out-dated/non-existent. So I don't know what driver version of the Intel HD series I should download so I can use the control panel.

Its a great piece of machinery and I'm loving it for college but it seems madness that Microsoft let this issue continue.. Its so distracting when trying to watch a movie or whatever.

Also would you happen to know what effect this would have on the battery life? The long life (13/10 hours) on this currently is perfect for my college lectures etc. so I hope it doesn't be too limited.

GoodBytes

The solution #11 replaces the Microsoft Intel version drivers with Intel drivers. This is something you can no longer do in Windows 10, as Windows 10 will force updates the Microsoft ones. Before, with Windows 8, you could hide updates. Now, you can't anymore. It is not a Surface thing, it is a Windows 10 thing. Force update for everyone.

The real solution is to change the driver configurations to disable this. This is actually complicated, the path is different for each system due to randomly generated number in the path (so you have to do a search), and the setting is not a simple on/off, and the fix is working only for that driver version, and needs to be adapted.

GoodBytes

Nope. The tool as Microsoft explains only defers the update for 'several months'
While allowing you to continue to have Windows 10 automatically installed.

leeshor

There is a way to do it using Powershell too. The problem, as it has been for some time now, is that even if you block a patch for a specific item, if a new one comes along it will install if you don't also block it. If you are still in the preview program disabling thew updates will also kick you out of the program as I have read it.

Video drivers are a really good example of new drivers coming out that end up defeating the previous block if you never want them installed.

The big issue I see is that they have virtually done away with what used to be "optional" updates.

GoodBytes

Yup. So the solution is to change the driver configurations, which is what my software does. However, I don't have a S3, and even if I did, it won't help, as I need to work with the same driver version from Intel, yet Intel has not released to the public their graphics drivers yet.