What's new

SanDisk 128 GB Format for Speed?

GoodBytes

FAT32 is not an option, unless you find your microSD card to be too big, and want to half the quantity.
exFAT will work on Mac's and some TV's and devices (not all like FAT32)
NTFS will only work on Windows, and gives you encryption (if you want or care), and file permission (if you want or care). If you have never used Windows file encryption or file permission, then most likely you don't care.

MCube74

FAT32 is not an option, unless you find your microSD card to be too big, and want to half the quantity.
exFAT will work on Mac's and some TV's and devices (not all like FAT32)
NTFS will only work on Windows, and gives you encryption (if you want or care), and file permission (if you want or care). If you have never used Windows file encryption or file permission, then most likely you don't care.

I have a 128gb microsd set to fat32 for my HTC One M8 phone. No problems with he size at all.
I know that is an android device.

So for windows fat32 is not a good option.

Yes, I have never used file encryption or file permission. So you think I should just leave it at exFat format?

Will the performance be better with exFat compared to NTFS?

GoodBytes

I doubt there is any performance difference outside of benchmarks, as this is not mechanical drives, and NTFS got improved over the years.

MCube74

I doubt there is any performance difference outside of benchmarks, as this is not mechanical drives, and NTFS got improved over the years.

If I format my 64gb card to NTFS file system, can I use the card in my android phone?
I am assuming it will have no problems with my desktop computer running Windows 7.

GoodBytes

If I format my 64gb card to NTFS file system, can I use the card in my android phone?
I am assuming it will have no problems with my desktop computer running Windows 7.

I don't know. It is not officially supported by Linux, nor Microsoft cares in providing it support.
I know they are ways to make it work under Linux based OS, but I don't know if Android in general or the version and manufacture build will work. Try and see.

MCube74

I don't know. It is not officially supported by Linux, nor Microsoft cares in providing it support.
I know they are ways to make it work under Linux based OS, but I don't know if Android in general or the version and manufacture build will work. Try and see.

exFat worked fine with my Samsung Galaxy note 3. So may be it is better to leave it at exFat file format as it will work with my Surface Pro 2, My windows 7 desktop and also android phones or tablets.

I want to decide properly before I start to store loads of photos and videos in the microSd card.

beq

I purchased on of the SanDisk 128gb SDXC which claim 30 mb write speed.
I'm only getting around 15 in the Surface Pro 2.
SanDisk Ultra's are slow, you're getting about all it can do. I've got a 64gb and it writes the same as what you are seeing regardless of formatting I've tried.

Same here, with my 128GB and older 64GB Ultra microSDXC's. SanDisk advertises "Up to 30 MB/sec read speed; write speed lower".

My 128GB result, formatted exFAT using an external USB 3.0 reader (there are variations from run to run) [SR review]
Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_USB3_reader.png

ATTO Disk Benchmark
Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_USB3_reader.png

Last edited:

beq

I believe the speed is limited to the speed the SD slot supports. The SP2 may not support 30mb.

I found the SP2 internal slot performance to come close to that of a Lexar USB 3.0 external reader. Here's the same SanDisk Ultra 128GB:
Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_internal_reader.png

Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_internal_reader.png

Certainly using a USB 2.0 reader was much slower:
Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_USB2_reader.png

Surface-pkl_SanDisk128_USB2_reader.png

See also this thread comparing faster cards using different readers.

beq

By comparison, the Extreme Pro level cards are faster and get 50-70 writing like Benjitek mentioned... but they aren't available in 128gb yet and are usually about twice as expensive.

I have also had great luck with the Samsung Extreme cards for others curious, not quite as fast as the fastest SanDisk Extreme Pro but almost and totally stable and cheaper.
Good point. And as a matter of fact, the new revision Samsung Pro (part of Samsung's latest SD lineup from a couple of months ago) has even leapfrogged SanDisk in large capacity microSDXC write speed, at least for now.

New Samsung Pro 64GB advertises 90MB/s read, 80MB/s write (!)

Lexar 633x 64GB advertises 95MB/s read, "slower" write (a tad slower write than SanDisk Extreme Plus based on your results), and comes with the smallest USB 3.0 microSD reader I've seen

SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB advertises 80MB/s read, 50MB/s write

SanDisk Extreme Pro advertises 95MB/s read, 90MB/write (!) but maxes out at 16GB :(

Both the Samsung and Lexar were even $5-10 bucks cheaper than the SanDisk Extreme Plus when I purchased.

P.S. There's another thread with SP2 benchmarks & links...

Last edited: