What's new

SB Competitor: Thinkpad X1 Yoga

BearFlag

Lenovo just announced the Thinkpad X1 Yoga: Lenovo Launches ThinkPad X1 Yoga At CES With OLED Display

It seems like the closest competitor to the SB w/o dGPU. It has the advantage of being lighter and having a better screen (OLED) but the disadvantage of a 16:9 aspect ratio, no detachable screen and no dGPU option.

I'm happy with my SB and think it's a better fit for me (dGPU) but think this might be an interesting alternative for some.

Seneleron

OEMs can't copy a good idea to save their business. They sacrifice too much in quality to keep the overhead down to maximize profits. Yea, that's a HIGHLY subjective statement, and I'll be the first to admit I'm INSANELY picky about my tech, but it's still true :p

OEMs can't copy a good idea to save their business. They sacrifice too much in quality to keep the overhead down to maximize profits. Yea, that's a HIGHLY subjective statement, and I'll be the first to admit I'm INSANELY picky about my tech, but it's still true :p

I highly doubt this started as a copy of the surface book. To develop a design, internal components etc takes a long time. They couldn't do that in the period of time since the Surface Book was announced.

mmc

I liked my Thinkpad Yoga - handed it down to my Mom after I bought my SB. My wife also has a Thinkpad Yoga. I don't see the old or new model as competition for the SB, but it would be my top pick still for a convertible.

Seneleron

I highly doubt this started as a copy of the surface book

I was more referring to a general attempt to break into the premium/ultrabook/convertibles market, could probably have been more concise in my phrasing, however. You are correct, however, in that these horrible convertible implementations have been around WAY before the SB was announced. (more likely that MS looked at said horrible implementations and said: "we can do better than that")

[full disclosure, I am not a fan of retail OEMs or their "try too hard jack-of-all-trades" machines. ]

Because this is in no way evident in my above description ;)

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

How is a reversable laptop (which have been around for a long time now) a competitor to the SB?
Well there are no direct competitors but this is one of the closest alternatives because you are able to fold it into a tablet, has a digitizer pen and great keyboard and screen.

I was more referring to a general attempt to break into the premium/ultrabook/convertibles market, could probably have been more concise in my phrasing, however. You are correct, however, in that these horrible convertible implementations have been around WAY before the SB was announced. (more likely that MS looked at said horrible implementations and said: "we can do better than that")

[full disclosure, I am not a fan of retail OEMs or their "try too hard jack-of-all-trades" machines. ]

Because this is in no way evident in my above description ;)

Same reason I am not a fan of how so many of the OEM's put stickers all over their laptops as if people actually care whether you have Intel, AMD or Nvidia inside your laptop. When was the last time you saw someone say "wow, that has Intel inside? that's incredible"

I prefer the clean no sticker approach from MS uses.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Same reason I am not a fan of how so many of the OEM's put stickers all over their laptops as if people actually care whether you have Intel, AMD or Nvidia inside your laptop. When was the last time you saw someone say "wow, that has Intel inside? that's incredible"

I prefer the clean no sticker approach from MS uses.
The OEM gets paid for those stickers :) it helps the profit margin, that is also why as an industry we saw the rise of Crapware being installed.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything must be ruined by ADs, they will not rest until you've succumb to a Matrix like existence and they have control of every facet of your life. ;)

Seneleron

ame reason I am not a fan of how so many of the OEM's put stickers all over their laptops

A good plastic spudger tool and a little bit of isopropyl alcohol work WONDERS for this. Drives me CRAZY when a random family member asks me to look at their laptop and the whole palm rest is covered in those annoying stickers ><

As for crapware, you get what you pay for.. Another reason to loathe your average OEM...