What's new

SB does not wake from sleep

Niterider4

Since the recent updates, my SB (i5/8/128) is working very well. The only real issue that remains (other than the odd freeze) is that when I open the lid in the morning, sometimes (not always) the book will not wake from sleep. The power is on, because I can detach the keyboard and reattach, and the keys light up, but the screen stays completely black.

Nothing will wake the computer - I have to power down by holding the power key and then reboot. Event viewer only shows that the previous shutdown was unexpected. Any ideas?

protip

I often have the same situation with mine. Notably, I have Windows Hello enabled, and during these episodes, I will routinely (but not always) see the red camera LED illuminate to suggest that Windows Hello is attempting to recognize me. But when the device is in this state, no matter how much time I give Hello, it does not properly awaken.

A similar behavior can be triggered when I attach the clipboard to a docked base (that is, the Surface Book base attached to the Surface Dock).

Most of my issues are with the dock or Windows 10 issues such as (mis)management of Windows' scale, size, and position when attaching and detaching monitors via a dock. But this issue with the device not waking up properly at times is one issue I have which I believe is purely about the Book itself. On the positive side, it reboots fairly quickly. :)

mcmichael1993

I also have the same problem as Niterider4. My new surface pro 4 will not turn on from sleep. I know it has power because the keyboard lights are responsive to when the power button but the screen is not. The screen stays black and will not turn on for 2-5 minutes.

I have tried holding the power button down for different periods of time but when the screen turns back seems to be random. This is very frustrating seeing as the price tag was $1,300+ and having to play it for the first 5 minutes of class is distracting and frustrating.

Hopefully it is a software issue that can be updates but if it is not then I would definitely contemplate, and I am contemplating, returning the product. As a Microsoft supporter I hope this is unnecessary and look forward to hearing of a solution.

Nuspieds

Same issue here.

I've noticed that the length of time it has been sleeping is also a factor; that is, for short durations, it will still wake, but not for long durations.

OP
N

Niterider4

Length of time asleep is also a factor for me. It does not happen when the SB has been asleep for a short time. I only ever see it when I open up the SB first thing in the morning.

Nuspieds

What's so frustrating about something like this is that you're so accustomed to leaving things in a certain state and wanting to resume exactly where you left off, but you now have to reboot and start from scratch.

OP
N

Niterider4

This is another issue that was obviously not properly tested before the product was released. You can't tell me that they didn't leave these things on overnight and not one single tester observed that it didn't wake up in the morning. They must have known about it, and they released the product anyways. That is extremely lame for what was advertised as a top-end expensive business laptop. I have a $500 Acer that doesn't do this.

flar

I leave mine asleep overnight and it always wakes from sleep for me. It sometimes has hibernated and it takes more like 30 seconds to wake rather than the fraction of a second it otherwise takes, but that's all. This isn't something that is guaranteed to fail and so it "must have shown up during testing".

OP
N

Niterider4

Within a few hours of my original post, a handful of people replied saying that they were experiencing the exact same problem. That suggests any reasonable amount of QC testing would have returned a report on this bug. If this was the only significant QC oversight with the release of this product, I would give MS the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, the reality is that there were many problems which must have been obvious to anyone who tested the product and MS decided to foist it on the public anyways. And, as many people have commented, that might be okay for a bargain laptop or tablet, but not when you advertise it as a category killer and you charge for it accordingly. That's just a failed product launch IMO.

mkenny28

I had this issue once or twice prior to the most recent Windows 10 Update but haven't seen it on my Surface Book since. On the other hand both my Surface 3 and Yoga 2 Pro have had this happen several times since the update.

Nuspieds

This is another issue that was obviously not properly tested before the product was released. You can't tell me that they didn't leave these things on overnight and not one single tester observed that it didn't wake up in the morning. They must have known about it, and they released the product anyways...
With these basic issues I am seeing, I'm coming to the opposite conclusion: That they didn't know about them because testing was lame and limited (e.g., probably the laptop by itself with no connections but the power cord. :)). Seriously, it's just too ridiculous.

Back to this sleep issue, this morning it woke up...what a surprise! :) However, I lost my external monitor outputs and, of course, it took a whole bunch of gymnastics to get output to them again. :mad: