What's new

SB does not wake from sleep

EMINENT

On my SP4 when I get the black screen, a quick tap of both power and volume button brings the screen back to the lock screen.

Nuspieds

So far, so good since the new firmware update; woke from sleep successfully this morning.

All monitors functioning properly as well.

OP
N

Niterider4

Since the recent firmware and Win10 updates, I have not experienced this problem. I realize now that it was not a wake from sleep problem but rather a wake from hibernate problem. My SB was set to hibernate after 120 minutes (default), and the problem only happened after long periods of inactivity, thus hibernate, not sleep. However, the problem appears to be solved. On another note, I have set my SB to hibernate after only 30 minutes and I see a significant improvement in battery loss. It seems that the SB burns through a fair amount of battery when asleep, but almost none when in hibernation.

I just had this problem this morning. Hibernate set for 60 minutes, keyboard lights worked, clipboard would dock and undock, but screen won't turn on. Hadn't touched it for about 12 hours.

I'm all up to date for firmware and windows.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just had this problem this morning. Hibernate set for 60 minutes, keyboard lights worked, clipboard would dock and undock, but screen won't turn on. Hadn't touched it for about 12 hours.

I'm all up to date for firmware and windows.
I found hitting Windows Key and P works when this happens ....

OP
N

Niterider4

My Surface Book would not wake from hibernate again this morning. Keyboard lights up, clipboard will detach and reattach, black screen. I am up to date on everything. Pressing Power and Volume did not work. Pressing the Windows key and P did not work.

I read in another post that Panos Panay is a visionary. Perhaps he could envision me being able to turn on my computer in the morning.

OP
N

Niterider4

UPDATE: My SB still randomly does not wake from sleep/hibernate, requiring a hard reboot (hold down power key then reboot) in order to start. This is a ridiculous problem to have on a high end laptop in 2015. Microsoft doesn't need to worry about me recommending the SB to other people - every time I go to show somebody something on my SB, I get a black screen and have to do a hard reboot. Nobody is going to buy a Surface Book based on that experience!

As a potential workaround, I have now changed all my sleep settings (power button, close lid, etc.) to Hibernate (instead of Sleep). I will see if that has any effect and I will post another update.

Shame on Microsoft for releasing this buggy crap and charging premium prices for it. I feel like I got scammed.

As a potential workaround, I have now changed all my sleep settings (power button, close lid, etc.) to Hibernate (instead of Sleep). I will see if that has any effect and I will post another update.

I have mine set to never sleep as mine has a habit of not recovering from sleep as well.

I found hitting Windows Key and P works when this happens ....

Does not work when mine is in the odd state.

To be clear, it does awake, I can see the mouse, just nothing else on the black screen. Sometimes by hitting some combo of power button cycles, I get to a 'swipe to power off' screen, that does not work, just returns me to a black screen.

Nuspieds

UPDATE: My SB still randomly does not wake from sleep/hibernate, requiring a hard reboot (hold down power key then reboot) in order to start. This is a ridiculous problem to have on a high end laptop in 2015. Microsoft doesn't need to worry about me recommending the SB to other people - every time I go to show somebody something on my SB, I get a black screen and have to do a hard reboot. Nobody is going to buy a Surface Book based on that experience!

Shame on Microsoft for releasing this buggy crap and charging premium prices for it. I feel like I got scammed.
I absolutely refuse to downshift to Hibernate for my sleep settings because I hate that state and it is not the functionality I want. I dislike it so much that I'd rather take my chances and hope it wakes from sleep rather than put it into hibernation.

That being said, since the December 2nd Firmware Update, I've always been able to wake from sleep. However, sometimes that wake is a cold boot because, for some reason, after sleeping, the SB will shut down. I am not yet convinced that this is an SB and/or Windows issue because this happened to me on my SP2 and it was due to a Netgear router system app. I've done some testing by disabling all non-MS services and when I did, the issue did not re-appear. Now I'm re-enabling custom services one-by-one to see if I can pinpoint a culprit.

ncameron

I also developed a distrust of Hibernate years ago with Windows 7 Tablets, where is never worked reliably for me, and have not used it since. But I have to say that having tried it on the SB (while waiting for the much-vaunted 2016 Connected Standby fix) I have found it to be reliable and surprisingly speedy to wake...just saying...

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the Windows-P Button works like a charm but Microsoft seemingly strikes yet again. Why wouldn't a $1000+ machine come out of sleep correctly by opening the lid..... Great Job Bill & Gang! Good times.