What's new

SB doesn't Autorotate when detached?

PaoBit

My SB doesn't rotate the screen when I detach it from the keyboard.The "autorotate on" message does come up though. It seemed to be doing well before the feb hardware update.

The rotation lock isn't on so I know it's not that.

help?

Astonish

I have the exact same problem, and yes before the feb update I never had the problem. As for now I don't have any solutions, but since I use my SB only for drawing, I detach and reattach the screen before turning the SB on and then again detach and reattach after I shut it down to the laptop position to close the lid, this way I do not have the problem. Or, after you detach and reattach it, if you restart, the autorotate works again.

OP
P

PaoBit

Is there any way to manually rotate the screen?

I use the surface book in clipboard mode often when in class and it's such a hassle when it does not autorotate.

Orlbuckeye

I have the problem as when I boot just using the clipboard it's lock in landscape mode. I have to unlock the autorotate manually and then the screen will rotate to portrait.

OP
P

PaoBit

The icon for autorotating is already unlocked when in clipboard mode and it still does not rotate. I've been shutting down the system to keep the autorotating function. Hibernating seems to be the culprit of the problem....for me atleast.

Maybe the new windows 10 update addressed this issue?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I just gave my Surface Book a rigorous test of automatic rotation when detached, re-attaching, with Hibernate enabled or enabled. No problems.

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271.rs1_release.160218-2310

If you are not an Insider, and you are experiencing this problem, take heart - a fix seems to be heading your way.

Niterider4

I am now having this same problem. If I detach the screen, it does not auto-rotate. Something is weird, because the detach function now operates strangely. Usually, I push the button, the green key light comes on, the green sign pops up, and I hear the click. Now, the red key light comes on (wrong light), the green sign does not pop up, and after a while I hear the click. The auto-rotate sign pops up, but the screen does not auto-rotate and the tablet is stuck in landscape mode. Detaching and reattaching has no effect.

I seem to be able to fix it with a reboot, but having to maybe reboot every other time I want to detach the screen is becoming a pain in the butt. It does not seem to happen after waking from sleep - only after waking from hibernate.

The tablet that can replace your laptop (unless you actually want to ... you know ... use it as a tablet).

mtmowl

Agreed. I think I may have a better appreciation of the problems faced by MS engineers in their attempts to resolve issues. For some reasons I can't imagine, all our systems are responding differently to their work, and fixing one type of problem in some seems to cause that problem in others.

I just hope they can zero in on a common, satisfactory set of fixes before too long.

I just re-checked the autorotate and it's still OK. It definitely wasn't on Sunday when I was showing off the SB.

Niterider4

Mine seems to be okay if it only sleeps, but if it hibernates then it's a crap shoot whether auto-rotate works or not. I can tell when it's not going to work, because pressing the detach button takes too long, it lights up red, and the green pop up doesn't appear. It detaches, and the auto-rotate pop up appears, but it will not rotate at all (even if I try to lock it into portrait mode).

mtmowl

That might be one big difference right there. I don't use Hibernate, only Sleep, and I have Fast Startup unchecked. In fact, all options are set to Sleep.