What's new

SB not Updating?

Nuspieds

So that method worked! I'm updated now; however, it still had me run the 11/2 hardware update again. So weird.
Congrats!

But exactly what options did you select?

I don't want to do it for another PC, but my SB, but that option went on to an Install Windows Pro option...so not exactly sure what to do.

OP
T

tatornator12

In the Media Creation Tool I just selected Update Windows and also selected to keep all of my files etc. Then it did the rest for me. Granted the process takes much longer than through the regular Windows Update. I already have Windows Pro, so it's just replacing the old version of it with the Fall Update one.

Nuspieds

Yep, that's what I tried but still no joy for me. :(

On the phone now with Support and eventually she tried to use the MCT as well but, of course, installation ended with the same "helpful" error message:

Something happened
Windows 10 installation has failed

Gee, thanks for all the details! :mad:

She's now attempting to escalate; I'm on hold...

OP
T

tatornator12

Aww, I'm sorry to hear :(

Have you thought about taking it to the Microsoft Store to get looked at or even replaced?

I am still having battery issues even after the Fall Update. I charged my battery to 100% last night and turned it completely off. I just turned it on and I am at 96%. How the heck do I lose 4% battery life when the computer is completely off?!

Nuspieds

What if I told you that I just replaced by SB on Monday?! :)

I had a defective keyboard (down arrow key) so my replacement arrived Monday, restored my system, then shipped out my defective unit on Tuesday.

We had to stop troubleshooting, by the way, because nothing was working. She attempted to escalate on the call, but her support told her to have me disconnect my external monitors. Whatever and, sure enough, nothing changed.

I disables non-MS services and startup apps and Antivirus and absolutely no change whatsoever. At this point, what else can I do but give up?!

Have you tried disabling services/startup top see if you're still losing that much battery when you power off?

Nuspieds

Finally...success! :D

I don't know exactly what it was that was preventing the upgrade, but here are my final sequence of events that led to the successful outcome:
  • After still failing when I disabled all non-MS services and all startup apps, I was ready to try a refresh and start over from scratch, upgrade, and reinstall all my apps. I took my own system image backup just in case it did not work.
  • I decided to try the upgrade on my SP2 and it c0mpleted flawlessly via Windows Update. My SP2 has the same apps as my SB, so I concluded it was not one of my apps that could be causing the issue.
  • Nevertheless, on my SB, I decided to uninstall the vast majority of my apps, leaving basically only Office, iTunes and an Editor. The upgrade still failed!
  • That was the last of the troubleshooting, so I decided to go straight to the refresh. Guess what? It failed! It couldn't reset; the error message just said it could not reset and nothing more helpful than that. :mad:
  • Rather than go the USB Recovery route, I decided to restore to a system image I had taken right after I had completed all my app installs.
  • I ran the upgrade from Windows Update and...it worked! To a point, anyway: After it rebooted and was at 91%, I stepped away for a few seconds and when I came back, my screen was black. :(
  • I once again restored to my first SB backup image with my apps installed but this time used the Media Creation Tool and I disconnected my SB from the dock, so there were no attached devices whatsoever.
  • This time, 100% success! :D

Nuspieds

Congratulations! So would you say having the SB docked led to some of the errors?
Sadly, yes and no.

No, because I had tried the upgrade undocked and it equally failed.

Yes, because once I got the upgrade to start, undocking it caused me to get past the black screen issue I had at 91% progress.

OP
T

tatornator12

Notice any differences with the update? The SB running better? I did a little testing with my SB today and it seems like the battery life might be a little better. However, I also reinstalled the battery drivers again and disabled some programs on startup.

Nuspieds

One big difference post update is the login is taking longer than before; however, on my SP2, it's still fine. Strange.

Apart from that, the improvements I've seen were after the firmware and hardware updates. I'm having less external display issues and my wired connection used to drop and reconnect quickly every now and then and, so far, it seems to have been resolved.