What's new

SB/SP4 & W10 & Maps App

btreece

On Windows 10 feedback for the Maps App, there have been many reported issues regarding showing the correct location, downloading/updating offline maps and the incorrectness of the maps themselves and how to report them.

I have no issues with location, no issues with downloading maps and updating them, no issues with reporting mapping errors, however...

Windows 10 Maps app using a higher resolution Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 on downloaded offline maps on road view (not aerial view) on fully zoomed in maps shows no graphical representation of the roads themselves -- just the road names. I use the Map app on battery (not plugged in) OFFLINE and do not like to use the aerial view due to the increased hard drive and graphics usage (meaning power use). Does anyone else have this issue or come upon a solution at the answer desk, microsoft community or anywhere else?

Note that going into bing maps on the internet shows this view correctly but people like to use these maps OFFLINE.

Thanks! (issue posted on microsoft community and windows feedback)

leeshor

I haven't used the map app yet but I think some other have and I didn't hear any complaints, at least not here. You don't see the actual roads at all?

OP
btreece

btreece

Thanks for your response. No roads at all are shown. For highways, the highway shield & number as well as all of the oval exit numbers are shown, but no highway is drawn. For all secondary roads, just the road names, but no roads. This is all happening in road view (NOT aerial view a.k.a. Satellite view). Not many people use this road view, but it has been shown to the Microsoft store.

leeshor

Just looked. Bring up the app, click on the 4th icon that's on the tool bar on the right then turn on streetside.

OP
btreece

btreece

Close! What "Streetside" on/off switch does is highlight on the map the streets that Microsoft or their subsidiary have a Streetside view of. What that effectively does is draw all of the streets the same color -- highways & secondary roads, but NOT all. There are some roads that do not have Streetside information and are therefore not drawn, showing only the street name. The general color scheme that should be represented is highways in dark red, primary streets in yellow, secondary paved roads -- only a solid outline & secondary unpaved roads as a dashed outline.

Thank you very much for investigating!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I had this same issue, but only for a day or so, a week ago or so. Sorry I didn't take better notes. I didn't report the problem, either.
Just as you describe, @btreece , the roads were extremely thin, or disappeared. The problem went away, perhaps after updates.

My current version is 1511 10586.3 .

OP
btreece

btreece

I had this same issue, but only for a day or so, a week ago or so. Sorry I didn't take better notes. I didn't report the problem, either.
Just as you describe, @btreece , the roads were extremely thin, or disappeared. The problem went away, perhaps after updates.

My current version is 1511 10586.3 .

If I am not mistaken, I think you responded to my posting on the Windows Apps forum about this issue?
It is an Intel Integrated graphics issue with the Windows Maps App. With the rush to get Intel's 6th generation "Skylake" processors into the device, not enough Beta testing was done to integrate the Integrated Graphics!
A Microsoft engineer posted a "How to" on the Microsoft Community forum for Surface Book owners that have Nvidia graphics cards located within the Surface Book keyboards. But as soon as the Surface Book owners detach the keyboard and lose the Nvidia graphics, they will have Intel's Integrated graphics like the rest of us!

Waiting for a Microsoft solution for this invisible roads issue...

ade

I have this exact issue on an HP Envy 15 laptop, so it's not confined to Surface devices. This thread came up when I searched!