What's new

SB2 15" battery capacity

wynand32

So, I've had my SB2 15" since December 2017, and right now I have 29 cycles on my tablet battery and 33 cycles on my base battery. My concern is that while my base battery shows a full charged capacity of 62,330 mWh verses the design capacity of 62,200 (so 100.2%), my tablet battery shows a full charged capacity of only 21,930 versus the design capacity of 23,200 (so 94.5%).

While it does fluctuate at times, it's on a decidedly downward trend and the current full charged capacity has been holding steady. It seems excessive to have lost over 5% of its design capacity after four months and 29 charge cycles.

Can anyone who's had theirs for awhile take a look and see where they're at? I use the BatteryInfoView utility, but you can also get the info from an admin command prompt and the command: batterycfg /batteryreport. Just view the resulting HTML file.

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've had my SB2 15" since December 2017, and right now I have 29 cycles on my tablet battery and 33 cycles on my base battery. My concern is that while my base battery shows a full charged capacity of 62,330 mWh verses the design capacity of 62,200 (so 100.2%), my tablet battery shows a full charged capacity of only 21,930 versus the design capacity of 23,200 (so 94.5%).

While it does fluctuate at times, it's on a decidedly downward trend and the current full charged capacity has been holding steady. It seems excessive to have lost over 5% of its design capacity after four months and 29 charge cycles.

Can anyone who's had theirs for awhile take a look and see where they're at? I use the BatteryInfoView utility, but you can also get the info from an admin command prompt and the command: batterycfg /batteryreport. Just view the resulting HTML file.

Thanks!
I have had mine a bit longer and many more cycles :)

upload_2018-4-20_6-30-42.png

Not worried about it, I've never had a device longer than a 2-3 years :)

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I have had mine a bit longer and many more cycles :)

View attachment 8970

Not worried about it, I've never had a device longer than a 2-3 years :)

Great, thanks!

Looking at your tablet battery, mine shows more wear than yours with only 30 cycles (it's at 21,810 as I write this). I'm mostly worried if it keeps up this pattern.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Great, thanks!

Looking at your tablet battery, mine shows more wear than yours with only 30 cycles (it's at 21,810 as I write this). I'm mostly worried if it keeps up this pattern.
Just make sure you run into below 10% at least once a month and should be fine...

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Just make sure you run into below 10% at least once a month and should be fine...

Is Microsoft still recommending that? Seems counter-intelligent considering how it's full cycles that cause wear. But I'll give it a shot, thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is Microsoft still recommending that? Seems counter-intelligent considering how it's full cycles that cause wear. But I'll give it a shot, thanks.
That is the best way to maintain these batteries, so much of the best practices for maintaining batteries on the internet was older technologies...

Wayne Orwig

My understanding is you only need a full cycle to remeasure/recalibrate the battery. I seldom do a full cycle. Maybe every 4 months. But I guess, once a month is not that many cycles in the life of a device like this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is you only need a full cycle to remeasure/recalibrate the battery. I seldom do a full cycle. Maybe every 4 months. But I guess, once a month is not that many cycles in the life of a device like this.
Microsoft still recommends what I said above:

Once a month, recharge when it’s 10% or lower. You can recharge the battery whenever you want But, However, it’s best to let the battery run to below 10% at least once per month before you recharge it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023450/surface-surface-battery-and-power