What's new

SB2 15" display and sRGB/Enhanced settings

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I've settled for enhanced in color management while stipping down red channel by two steps and and green by one using the calibration tool. Overall I can be satisfied with this.

Okay, so, I got in the 13.5-inch model, and the coil whine on it is so bad there's no way I can use it. So, I played around with the calibration on the 15-inch, and I think I might have found a setting that makes the display more than good enough. Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed that my impression holds out.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

That's the worst! I'm sorry to hear about that. What color management settings did you settle on?

Thanks... I actually lost track of what settings I used, because it seems like when you create a calibration and then re-calibrate, it starts from the current calibration and not the default. I think. So it was a few ticks down on both red and green, with the most reduction in green.

It's not perfect, and if I use my Surface Pro 4 immediately before or side-to-side with the SB2 15, then I notice. But my eyes adjust after a bit and then it seems fine to me. Obviously I'm just more sensitive to this than most people.

At the risk of sounding like someone who's just looking for something to complain about -- I swear, that's really not the case -- now that I got the white balance to be less warm, I'm noticing that the screen isn't consistent. There are some really warm spots on each side, and it pops out to me now where I didn't notice it before. So, in the end, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do.

chekhonte

brightness uniformity is not top in it's class for sure though mine is still very good. I just made some uniform color jpg's to test this. Solid light gray shows variations in uniformity the best in my opinion and though there are some splotches through out the screen I have to hunt for them and they don't stick out. On my screen it's most noticeable up the left side where it's a little more warm and a little more bright. Most likely where the side where the edge light is. We'll have to wait for AMOLED to become the standard if we want near perfect uniformity.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

here's an album with dark and light gray if you want to use them.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Thanks! I'll check it out. It's good, in a way, to know that yours has some of the same effect, that saves me the potential hassle of exchanging to get a "better" one. Might not be such a thing.

I get it that LCDs aren't perfect in this respect, and that all of them have some inconsistency (heck, my iPad Air 2 is much warmer on the bottom half than the top half, and I guess I just got used to it after awhile). I'm probably fine with it, just need to adjust most likely.

I suppose it's the $3400 pricetag that makes me really sensitive to these issues. :)

chekhonte

I'm feeling the same way. I just try to focus on what I do like about and fortunately for me there's still plenty to like. I have a 3 grand edge lit LED samsung TV and the uniformity is far poorer than this screen. It's just a problem with how monitors distribute lite on edge lit screens. There's just no way to do it perfect. It still kind of amazes me that it can be done this well. OLED, each pixel is independently illuminated so you end up with far greater evenness of color and brightness. By the time they start showing up in high specced laptops at affordable prices, we might be considering buying a new laptop.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

All great points, and you're right: there's a lot to like about these machines. I opened up your test image on my own "gold standard" SP4, and it's not perfect either. It's worse on the SB2 15, basically darker on each side with a lighter strip running through the middle. I'll just keep using it and see how much it bugs me before making my final decision -- I do have until January 31, after all.

chekhonte

Solid gray is a stress test. I am incapable of see any variation when looking at complex images. I only notice if I'm look for it while viewing large color fields like in browsers.

canabuc

I've settled for enhanced in color management while stipping down red channel by two steps and and green by one using the calibration tool. Overall I can be satisfied with this.

Am curious. Can you calibrate the enhance mode with the built in tool? or does it just give you a calibrated SRGB setting you can choose from in settings but without the enhanced color contrast aspect?

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Am curious. Can you calibrate the enhance mode with the built in tool? or does it just give you a calibrated SRGB setting you can choose from in settings but without the enhanced color contrast aspect?

In my experience, running the calibration tool creates a separate profile dubbed "sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration." It's the same whether you start in RGB or Enhanced mode.

Honestly, I think it looks better in all respects, including offering more contrast. I wish Microsoft would have created the same calibration they used on the Surface Pro and OG Surface Book and left it at that.

canabuc

So essentially you can then have 3 different profiles to choose from.

I wonder if anyone has a calibrated ICC file to give us get we could add more

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

canabuc

Compared it to my mbp 2012 and my 13.5 inch before returning it for the 15 inch I now have.
Seems as much as I try to play with colors in calibration I can either get it bluer or greener than my old mac but never the same. Either I get the color fidelity spot on but white are too warm or I get the white just right but images then look too cool. Would love if someone did calibration with a spyder or xrite and provided a profile. Better yet wish windows had white point setting like osx!!!!!