What's new

SB2 15 inch, Graphics card disappearing when waking up or reboot

chekhonte

EDIT: I downloaded and ran the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit that MS provides and it appears to have fixed the problem.

When ever my SB2 15 inch wakes up from hibernation or reboots my graphics card disappears from the list in the device manager and all programs default to the lintel graphics. separating from the dock and reattaching fixes the problem until the computer goes into hibernation or needs to be restarted.

If it helps windows makes the hardware disconnect sound when it wakes back up from hibernation.

Does anybody know where to start looking to potentially fix this problem? I'm at a complete loss.

I'm backing up now to do a factory reset to see if it's on the software side.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When ever my SB2 15 inch wakes up from hibernation or reboots my graphics card disappears from the list in the device manager and all programs default to the lintel graphics. separating from the dock and reattaching fixes the problem until the computer goes into hibernation or needs to be restarted.

If it helps windows makes the hardware disconnect sound when it wakes back up from hibernation.

Does anybody know where to start looking to potentially fix this problem? I'm at a complete loss.

I'm backing up now to do a factory reset to see if it's on the software side.
I had the issue a while ago and what fixed it was rebooted into a diagnostic mode, while the device is powered up, hold the volume rocker up then hold down the power down pass the "slide down to shutdown" (this will take 30-60 seconds) until it goes into a CMD Window that asks you to let go of the power button, it will run a diag and restart. I haven't had any issues with since that time. It is tricky to do the above correctly, it took me a few times to get it done correctly.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

I had the issue a while ago and what fixed it was rebooted into a diagnostic mode, while the device is powered up, hold the volume rocker up then hold down the power down pass the "slide down to shutdown" (this will take 30-60 seconds) until it goes into a CMD Window that asks you to let go of the power button, it will run a diag and restart. I haven't had any issues with since that time. It is tricky to do the above correctly, it took me a few times to get it done correctly.
There's a handful of typos in your reply and I"m not sure if I'm understanding your directions. When windows is loaded I held down the volume rocker up (+) and while holding it up and held down the power button. This after about 8 seconds rebooted my computer and put it in uefi menu

EDIT:

The downloadable diagnostic toolkit may have fixed the problem.

aufhHZv.jpg

I could not find any such diagnostic mode so I assume I'm doing something wrong. I tried googling surface book diagnostic mode but couldn't find anything other that a diagnostic toolkit for surface.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Done correctly you should enter into this screen...I did discover yesterday the volume rocker isn't required....

20180609_201423.jpg

D33

Hello. My SB2 is also having the same issue. I took the device to the Microsoft Store yesterday where a tech ran multiple tests on the device. The graphics card would appear for a short while , but disappear again soon after. I was advised to call Microsoft support directly. After 40+ minutes on the phone a service center manager told me that there are engineers working on an update to fix this problem with SB2 devices. I spend a great deal of time in lightroom photoshop, and Sony Vegas, and without the gpu I'm suffering severely. The manager said to give them 24 - 48 hours for an update. I called today and there are no updates on this issue. I can't say that I believe all of what was said, but after tomorrow if this issue still exists I may have to step outside of my element and raise a bit of ****! I have customers that are waiting for their photos!

wynand32

I experience similar issues on my SB2 15", and I've applied all of these fixes. I've seen two three versions:

1. The dGPU and base battery disappear.
2. The dGPU only disappears.
3. The base battery only disappears.

Has anybody else seen all three of these scenarios?

unruledboy

dGPU disappear in SB 2 13'', both batteries are here.

Applications logs show error:

Dtx failed to enumerate DGpu.

unruledboy

I could not even start the machine today, pressing the detach button is just showing red, had to force restart by holding power 30 seconds and then, holding power & volume up 15 seconds, then it went well, the dGPU comes back.