What's new

SB2 Blue screen and nvidia graphics gone from hardware list after reboot

chekhonte

I got a blue screen today "system thread exception not handled" which is graphics card related error. After the reboot I immediately tried to install the latest drivers. They wouldn't install stating that compatible hardware could not be found. Checking my device manager the mobile graphics can't be found. Only intell graphics is listed.

Did my graphics chip just die? Or is there some form of trouble shooting that I could do to remedy this with out sending my computer in for repair?

GHUVIpB.png

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Brought it in to the Microsoft Store at University Village. Confirmed dead GPU and they swapped it out. I can't remember what my color profile was and I'm going a little nuts.

gman713

I spoke to Nvidia earlier this week and the latest driver doesn't contain the SB2 device ID which is why the latest version is giving us that error. The technician stated they were alerting the team and will have an updated release containing our device ID. Can you download an older version of the driver?

gman713

Oh, nevermind. I guess I can't read! Glad things worked out. I hope that doesn't happen to my gpu because I got that same error message. Although my gpu is working.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Yeah I even reformatted/reinstalled and let windows try to install the display adapter and it couldn't. On the plus side the replacement SB2 has a better CPU than my old according to hwinfo.