What's new

SB2 not updating to 1709 and other problems

Afy

My SB2 is refusing to update to 1709.. tried the Windows Update route and Manual.

Additionally the battery seems to refuse charging beyond 95% overall. 100% on base and 80% on tablet. I am stumped.. this is literally a couple of hours out of the box.
Very weird.. any ideas?

Cimmerian

Is it the 15" model?

Mine updated to 1709 fine and charges up to 100%, I would first try completely restoring the device and then updating before installing anything else / see if the battery charges up then.

Could be a defect but seems more like some weird software bug to me.

Cimmerian

If you've already tried resetting it I think it's time for a trip to the nearest MS store, that model should be replaceable in-store.

OP
A

Afy

No MS store in the yUK.

Seem to have resolved the issues.. now have the stupid niggling problems with Office. The new version has a mandatory sign in.. which I hate. etc..etc.. one step at a time I guess.

Cimmerian

Interesting, how'd you fix it? Just let it sit trying to update for a while? I've found it can take a while for updates to even prepare before actually updating, often get stuck on certain percentages for hours at a time.

I had assumed you meant it had an error while updating or something, should have asked for clarification.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes the delay in updates for a new Windows 10 PC is due to OneDrive files syncing from your account. When OneDrive is "up to date", the updates continue.

Seneleron

I had the same problem on several machines in my household, including the 2017 Surface Pro and 15" surface book (as well as my 1950x desktop, strangely enough]

I had to look up how to download the Microsoft upgrade assistant on Google to get the update to push. It was the only way I could get it to work, and even that failed once. I had to run disk cleanup/clean up windows files and get rid of EVERYTHING before running the digital assistant on the SP.

OP
A

Afy

I did a full factory reset, and then ran updates. Did the 1709 update manually.

Any idea on how to make office 2016 work without having to sign into MS? I don't want my files on OneDrive.

Nuspieds

I did a full factory reset, and then ran updates. Did the 1709 update manually.

Any idea on how to make office 2016 work without having to sign into MS? I don't want my files on OneDrive.
Can you elaborate a bit here because storing files on OneDrive is a choice, not a requirement.

I have the Office 365 subscription with the Desktop clients installed and although my logins to MS are to validate my subscription, I store my files locally, as has always been the case.

Or is it that when you did the Windows install you selected the option to store all your files on OneDrive?

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Afy,

Office must now be leased, rather than owned. You must sign in with your Microsoft account (the account from which you purchased Office 2016) to access the suite of software.

However, you do not need to store your files in OneDrive.

You may
- Set OneDrive "Settings" to not "Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open"
- Store your office files (*.doc, *.docx, *.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.ppt, *.pptx, etc.) in a folder other than in or below your "Documents" or "OneDrive" folders, so that you may continue to use OneDrive without syncing Office files.

I hope this helps.