What's new

SB2: Potential Purchase

Paul Bilbrough

Hi

I am looking at replacing my 5 year old clevo laptop. its wifi is starting to play up and cannot be replaced due to age and also it is a brick, nearly 4kg in weight.

I am looking at the Surface Book 2 (15") as a potential replacement but am after some thoughts, mainly due to the fact that it is so expensive I have some niggles in the back of my mind.

As I am a photographer (enthusiast) I am looking for something with great sRGB coverage which I this has and in terms of gaming the heaviest game I have is European and American Truck Simulators and as they both play on high on my old 670m I am assuming that the SB2 will have no problems.

I am used to being able to take the bottom off to clean out dust etching from the insides and separate when temps start staying higher then normal after a few years, with the SB2 being a sealed unit how does it get on from this point of view?

In terms of warrenty (UK), does anyone know how it works. I am assuming it gets swapped for a refurb rather than being repaired, is this correct?

Also is it possible to get an HDMI adapter as I would need to connect to a projector at camera clubs (1920×1080)?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

Megoapesnut

I have a USB-C HDMI adapter for my SB2 15" and it works fine shooting to both Hi-Def and 4K displays, so no problems there for you. I don't do gaming so I can't answer that question for you but it sounds like you are covered there. I am a photographer and the screen is freakin awesome. It's the nicest, sharpest and most color accurate screen I have both at work and at home.

bangsters

Go for it. I'm sure it won't disappoint. I just got the 15 inch model yesterday, and totally rocked so far. See if MS Store can give you a student discount, they can be easy to talk to, they gave me one without asking too much info, although I did have my daughter with me then.

Orlbuckeye

The store won't have any in stock but the discount is available online (maybe). I went to the MS site and looked at the Surface Book and selected the 15" 512 Gb 16 GB and it showed 2899. I then logged in to my Microsoft account and it flashed up I'm eligible for the military/education discount and I selected the same model and it said 2609.99. I ordered it with the 2 year and 1 to 2 day delivery. I got it after 3 days because it was in Nashville for over a day at Fedex (when they had the ice storm). I had changed the shipment to pick up at Fedex instead of delivering to my house. It arrived on Martin Luther King's Birthday and Fedex was open. I watch it tracked and it arrived on Sunday to Fedex .

OP
P

Paul Bilbrough

Thanks everyone. As it happens I am a student and Microsoft give 10% off in the UK.

I am used to being able to take the bottom off to clean out dust etching from the insides and separate when temps start staying higher then normal after a few years, with the SB2 being a sealed unit how does it get on from this point of view?

Pretty much this is the only thing holding me back now.

Cimmerian

Thanks everyone. As it happens I am a student and Microsoft give 10% off in the UK.

Honestly I don't think you will have a problem with this, nothing should really gather in the base of the unit, or even the top. I never noticed any cooling degradation in my SB 1st gen after using it for 2 years, and my SB2 15" runs even cooler than my last. They are sealed extremely well and all air blows out.

bangsters

I don't think you'll have an issue with that. The vents are on the sides, and doesn't really attract much dust. I've had my book 2 for a few days now, but I 've had the book 1, SP1, 3, 4 and not once have I had an issue with dust accumulating.