What's new

SB2 Rumored for June

cmcigas

Hey everyone, I googled for some SB2 rumors and they all say for a June release.

I was curious if anyone agrees with that because of the sources and even though itll be less than a year I believe since the first SB?

Also I read that Kaby Lake wont be out in time for that June release which I feel would be an unlikely release then for the SB2/SP5 in June.

Also if you do think itll happen in June what do you think will upgraded?

I kind of hope for a USB-C and a better hinge and detach method.

dstrauss

Surface 4 is definitely more logical, but Microsoft has a lot to fear from the June +/- release of the new MacBook Pros - think MacBook Air with Pro screen and innards..I can't imagine they can wait to refresh the SB until Spring 2017 - besides they STILL don't have Skylake working properly, who knows what KabyLake will be like!

I could she a coat of fresh paint in the form of adding a USB-c Thunderbolt port (a tiny step towards replacing the Surface Connector in SB3); maybe a 2gb version of the dGPU, etc.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surface 4 is definitely more logical, but Microsoft has a lot to fear from the June +/- release of the new MacBook Pros - think MacBook Air with Pro screen and innards..I can't imagine they can wait to refresh the SB until Spring 2017 - besides they STILL don't have Skylake working properly, who knows what KabyLake will be like!

I could she a coat of fresh paint in the form of adding a USB-c Thunderbolt port (a tiny step towards replacing the Surface Connector in SB3); maybe a 2gb version of the dGPU, etc.
Apple just updated the MBA with more RAM that's it. ;)

Microsoft has been at the mercy of Intel forever and the Surface line is a reflection of Intel's limitations in spades. To some degree MS has chosen this path and is sticking with it ... although rumors of a revived ARM edition makes sense as a hedge.

Surface has nothing to fear from a Touchscreen-less MacBook Boaty MacBoatface boat anchor. This is Apple's watershed moment, they have plotted a course which is sending them up a river they cant navigate. Apple is 100% committed to the "Two Device" strategy because that's they way they make the most money. Or call it a Three Device strategy if you include the Watch.

Plantje

I do expect a Surface 4 pretty soon. And I hope it will be thinner, lighter, has Windows Hello, USB C charging, LTE and some other nice stuff. With regards to RAM, storage and CPU I think they can stick to the 2/4GB, 64/128GB and X7 Atom configurations. Those are just fine. Same as the screen...that's perfect.
Same power, same use cases, but lighter, better battery life, faster charging etc would be nice!

With regards to what Microsoft SHOULD be doing... I see quite some issues here around build quality of devices. Now I know people rush harder to complain than to compliment, but still...that should have a lot of attention.
And when it comes to Windows there are two things:
-PLEEEEEASE, fill the app gap!
-Make everything more consistent like it was in Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8. Now some apps have a hamburger menu, others don't. On Windows 10 Mobile a lot of apps have the two circles when selecting text, but in the calendar and mail app all of a sudden they have a different shape. Just to mention a few...

jrioux

Apple just updated the MBA with more RAM that's it. ;)
But, they now also offer a revolutionary new PINK MacBook :rolleyes: with newer faster m3, m5 and m7 CPUs.

The cognitive dissonance from boasting that the A9X in the iPad Pro is so much better and faster that Intel's Core m chips while using the same Core m chips in their design tour de force MacBook must be causing them nightmares. :p

dstrauss

Apple just updated the MBA with more RAM that's it. ;)...

Being smug is what got Microsoft in the ditch in the first place, and they are now scrambling to distance themselves from the Windows OEM pack. As I said, the upcoming MacBook Pros will be Pro parts in a MBA svelte design. It is now an arms race between the two giants - and although I think MS has chosen the right path, they HAVE to stay ahead of the fruit ninja's, who I bleieve are actually heading towards one device as well - but tablet first (maybe only).