What's new

Scaling Issue In/Out of Dock

unni

My previous post about this was removed, not sure if it was because I posted in a thread that was marked as solved or if it looked similar to my another post. So posting here again. I apologize if I broke any forum rules.

My setup:
  • Surface 4 Pro
  • Surface 4 dock (brick style)
  • Belkin Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter
  • Asus VE247 Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 23.6"
  • When docked, I use only my monitor.
  • Tablet is at 200% scaling, monitor is at 100% scaling.
Problem:
When I dock/undock the tablet, the fonts look blurred. For example, if I have browser open when it was docked and using the monitor, the fonts will be blurry when I undock it and vice versa. I have observed this problem with Outlook/Word 2016, Visual Studio 2015, Opera, Firefox etc. Edge and store apps doesn't seem to have the problem. The only way I know so far to resolve this is to reboot the tablet. I have uploaded a screenshot here to give a better idea. The first screenshot was taken from tablet, the second from monitor.

Anybody else solved this problem?

leeshor

The problem was that you posted what was basically the same post in an active thread then started another thread. This is very close to the other thread still open. It's called cross posting and isn't allowed.

OP
U

unni

Sorry. I thought this post was about using Surface along with a monitor as a dual display. My issue (posted above) happens when I am using just the monitor. The other post was also dock related, but the problem was different. This post is about the scaling issue, the other was about monitor alternating between on/off rapidly.

Glenn.Q

I have a similar problem while using the monitor without a dock but directly connected to the mini display port.
Scaling wont change (on the Surface its 200%, on monitor-only its supposed to be 125%).
Connecting the monitor sometimes leads to blurry fonts and especially to wrong scaling (200% on the monitor).

JordanAT

MS does not support connected and disconnecting the dock to monitors with a scale which differs. They recommend logging out and back in when you dock, or powering down, docking, and powering back up.

No, this is not ideal, but it is currently the only way Windows works. AFAICT the problem is actually in the 3rd party software ability to scale properly if the monitor setup changes after the program is active (i.e. I think they only check at startup). Sorry, but there is neither a workaround nor a fix, and, if I remember the recent MS paper on this, it may not be something that even can be fixed for all applications. They are working on better scaling performance, but this one is likely not to be changed/fixed.

dstrauss

Strange. I use my Surface Pro 4 (at 250% scaling - old eyes, sorry about that) with the new dock and two dispalyport Acer K272HUL monitors (2560x1440 set at 150% scaling). Text is crisp and sharp. Videos no problem. No gaming - use almost exclusively Office 2016, Adobe Acrobat XI, Drawboard, Edge, and Chrome.

If I change scaling while running, it will ask me to log out and back in, but now that I have settled on the 150/250 solution it has been pretty stable.

yazruel

Strange. I use my Surface Pro 4 (at 250% scaling - old eyes, sorry about that) with the new dock and two dispalyport Acer K272HUL monitors (2560x1440 set at 150% scaling). Text is crisp and sharp. Videos no problem. No gaming - use almost exclusively Office 2016, Adobe Acrobat XI, Drawboard, Edge, and Chrome.

If I change scaling while running, it will ask me to log out and back in, but now that I have settled on the 150/250 solution it has been pretty stable.
Hi dstrouss,
this gave me an idea for a workaround for the problem - set a different scaling value (not 100%) for my external monitor, and see of the scaling problem persists.
Actually, it seems to have solved the problem... with 200% scaling on my SP4 display and 125% scaling on the external monitor problems seems to have disappear..

now if only I could scale it to 105% instead of 125% it would have been great solution.