What's new

scaling issues with high resolution-should I change my eyes ?

KONY

hello All,

I don't seem to see much complaints about that here but that high resolution thing is more a minus than a bonus for me

since I ve been using the surface, it has been the main issue for me

text is often too small in the windows menus and then when I change the size of text in resolution menu , then I got some issues with the look of some applications...which become hard to use

now about my resolution on the surface, it is the recommended 2160*1440...BUT I tried some others to no avail...

the last issue today : I downloaded MUSIC BEE media player and to my surprise the left panel is so narrow I can barely read the menus...yet that left panel is the main place to use the application. ..

and I cannot make it wider by dragging it with the mouse

how you guys deals with such problem especially on music bee...any advise for good resolution ?

why o why windows even think we need such high resolution to start with is beyond me...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea what Music Bee is, I use Xbox Music. High Resolution screens allow for very crisp text and for those of us who use it in portrait for inking it is an ideal combination. I use the main screen in the middle spot on the slider, but there are occassions I move it up or zoom when my eyes are tired.

The biggest issue you'll run into is legacy style Win32 programs that use XP GDI Scaling misbehave on high resolution screen, you can disable scaling for this to prevent the fuzzy looking text.

OP
K

KONY

ok thank you Jeff
i somehow manage to make the menu panel wider on music bee

also i may give that xbox music a try even though i tend to avoid music players which are too much dependant on internet since 100% of my files are locally stored

OP
K

KONY

I GUESS those people at windows never really tried the usability of that high resolution thingy

everything was perfect on windows XP, A bit less on win7 and especially vista...now this high resolution decision is another pain for us to go through

do they want to disgust us about windows or what !

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same trouble as the OP especially with Windows menu. I bought a pair of magnifying glasses to help.
Prior to getting a Surface I went to the eyeglasses store and had a pair of bifocals made specifically for one purpose. Sitting at a conference table with my laptop behind an 8.5 x 11 meeting handout so the laptop is out a little further than normal. Through the bottom i can see my entire screen and materials. Through the top I can see if the person at the other end of the table is smiling or smirking. That was the criteria I gave the eye doctor and we made 3 pair before we got it right. I'm not having any trouble with the sp3 right now but its at the edge of my visual field. the computer generated first cut from the eyeglass places never works for me.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I GUESS those people at windows never really tried the usability of that high resolution thingy

everything was perfect on windows XP, A bit less on win7 and especially vista...now this high resolution decision is another pain for us to go through

XP Scaling was awful, anything over 1280x1024 started causing issues, Vista introduced Scaling that would actually work but very few ISVs used it and that continued on the vast majority of Win32 Code. WinRT Universal Apps work great on high resolution screens....

ChrisPanzer

I know Im necro'ing this thread but I agree 100% with the OP, the resolution has been the cause of much anguish for me over the last 2 weeks of ownership of the SP3. I wish it would just 'work' like my apple products. =(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know Im necro'ing this thread but I agree 100% with the OP, the resolution has been the cause of much anguish for me over the last 2 weeks of ownership of the SP3. I wish it would just 'work' like my apple products. =(
OS X and iOS didn't need to maintain backwards compatibility because of market position and usage, Windows did.... the Modern UI Scales quite well, the desktop doesn't. Windows 10 is replacing many of the desktop interfaces with MUI Ones that are Windowed to give the appearance that they are updated Win32 elements.

ptrkhh

Because there was no high resolution screen in the XP era, of course there was no problem back then.

Vista/7 era brought higher res ~150dpi screen, which was still usable with the standard 100% scaling. Think about those FHD 13-15" laptops. And finally, Windows 8 era is all about pixel. Think about it, in the last 2 years, we crossed 200dpi, and some tablets have even crossed the 300dpi density. Its even more ridiculous in smartphones. It took them a decade to move from 100dpi to 150dpi, but only a couple of years to double up to 300dpi. Just if it hasn't convince you enough, we even have a web browser laptop called 'pixel'.

Try using the SP3 with 200% scaling, its just as dense as a 13" 1366x768 laptop you had a few years ago (mind=blown). Anything less than that isn't that comfortable for me