What's new

Schedules maintenance always running?

macmee

No matter what time it is, it seems that scheduled maintenance is always running on my machine. Anyone else have this problem too?

kristalsoldier

This was happening to my Surface 2 for a few days. But now it has stopped. No idea why it started up and no idea how and why it stopped. Did not throw up any errors though.

Ruffles

Mine has done that a few times as well. It was scheduled to run at 2am. If your computers is busy or not on, it's supposed to run the next time it's idle. I think that is the issue. It starts the next time you turn on the pc and just hangs around as a background process waiting for idle cycles to complete. If your actually doing something, there won't be very many of those which will cause it to appear to run for a long time.

Rather than schedule it to run at night when I know my surface will be off, I've changed it to run at noon. Since I take my Surface to work with me and it sits on my desk running twitter or slide shows most of the day, I figured I'd have it run the maintenance during lunch. This seems to work for me so far.

be77solo

This has been driving me nuts as well... I've got two SP2's, and they both have the "maintenance in progress" going all the time at random. I leave it running idle intentionally for this reason, and nothing helps.

My question, what the heck is it actually doing or think it's doing? I've got three other Windows 8 laptops (now upgraded to 8.1) and I've never seen this icon or message on any of them.

I've let it run for hours, I've restarted or powered down, only to have it constantly come back.... if it's legitimately achieving something, I'd like to know. I've googled and nothing really comes back. I have to think this is a Surface Pro 2 problem. I'd love someone to tell me what it's doing all the time if nothing else ha

bluegrass

I'm
This has been driving me nuts as well... I've got two SP2's, and they both have the "maintenance in progress" going all the time at random. I leave it running idle intentionally for this reason, and nothing helps.

My question, what the heck is it actually doing or think it's doing? I've got three other Windows 8 laptops (now upgraded to 8.1) and I've never seen this icon or message on any of them.

I've let it run for hours, I've restarted or powered down, only to have it constantly come back.... if it's legitimately achieving something, I'd like to know. I've googled and nothing really comes back. I have to think this is a Surface Pro 2 problem. I'd love someone to tell me what it's doing all the time if nothing else ha

I'm curios. How can you tell when there is "maintenance in progress"? Does it display somewhere on your screen all the time.? I've never seen that message ever.

be77solo

I'm

I'm curios. How can you tell when there is "maintenance in progress"? Does it display somewhere on your screen all the time.? I've never seen that message ever.

The little Action Center "flag" icon in the taskbar will show a clock on top, and when you hover over it tells you maintenance is in progress.

I still can't figure out what it's actually doing though.

T-Bob

Too funny Ruffles! I did the same thing. Had it running at 3 AM and it was running constantly. I then moved it to Lunch and now it has stopped.

I assume it needs to run when it is idle and since my tablet was off at 3 AM it kept trying to run while I was working. Now it runs while the Surface is idle and I am away at lunch.

bluegrass

I service about 100 micros where I work and the virus scanner is set to scan users computers after normal work hours. If they forget and shut down their computer, when the come in in the morning and start work they call me saying their computer is running extremely slow. The virus scanner starts to scan after they login becaue it missed the last scan. This happens with some frequency. I suspect the same thing might apply to the Surface. I've never checked to see if Defender has scheduled virus scans on my Surfaces. I'll have to check that out. I like the fact that I don't have to purchase or download some free anti-virus program for the Surface.