What's new

scratch on gorilla glass, with type cover....

bangsters

This is the second surface pro for me. The first one had a scratch on the screen on the upper left of the screen (on the black border). MS store has replaced the previous one and I have a protection plan. Now this one also has the same scratch on the same area of the screen. Bummer. Anyone else having such issues with getting scratches on the gorilla glass despite having a cover?

Could it have something to do with the type cover? I'm bringing mine back to have it replaced, and probably buy a touch cover to use as daily cover instead of the type cover....

mitchellvii

Um, user error dude. The only thing that will scratch Gorilla Glass is something harder than Gorilla Glass. That means sand and grit. You are doing something that is allowing this to happen.

OP
B

bangsters

I wish I was. But nothing is touching the screen except my finger, the pen, or the type cover. Besides I have never taken this out of the house since I got it.

Yea there were some dust that I wipe off but that's about it.

My Note 2 sits in my pocket with my car keys sometimes and not one scratch... but this SP already has one, on the same spot as the 1st one.

Heading back to ms store for replacement and I'm getting a touch cover to use as daily. Bummer, now I will need ot reconfigure everything again lol

And what's more annoying is that I had a zagg invisibleshield on the front. When I had the back covered with skinit, the guy at ms store told me I don't really need the film protector in front since I had protection plan and it's gorilla glass :(

Is there a way to remove the scratch? If I put my fingernail on the scratch I can feel it.

Last edited:

tonyz3

You might have pick ed up some sand on the pen. But you can put another zagg on it and it will most likely fill in the scratch. One week after my wife got her phone she got a scratch on it and the zagg filled it in and now you never knew it was there.

mitchellvii

You might have pick ed up some sand on the pen. But you can put another zagg on it and it will most likely fill in the scratch. One week after my wife got her phone she got a scratch on it and the zagg filled it in and now you never knew it was there.

I can't be sure but I'm leaning towards blaming the kickstand...

johnknee

Have you dropped the pen? If so, the tip maybe damaged and causing scratch on the screen. The odd thing is both scratches are in the same area on two different SP.

Even though I know the glass is scratch resistance and have the 2 year protection plan, I fear the type cover scratching the screen when it is in the Incipio case when it is in my backpack. I decided to put a lint free cloth be/w the screen and keyboard. The cloth is large enough to wrap around and protect the backside from scratching too. I use the same cloth to wipe the screen daily. OCD me!

paesan

I use my SP everyday in my car and outside 75% of the time and do not have any scratches on the glass. You must be doing something wrong to get a scratch in the same location. Plus at some point scratches are inevitable. I don't get the obsession with not having any scratches ever. I am a firm believer in using a product so I can enjoy it and not worry about every little nick and scratch.

machistmo

Apple would make you buy a new one. And their Apple-Care is not what its cracked up to be at all. And I agree with 7 here, its definitely something in your environment, there is no way the touch cover would scratch the glass. If you went to the beach and sat at a sandy picnic table, and then closed the cover with sand on it and then sat on it or shoved it in a bag with the sand in contact, absolutely. This isn't just magically damaging itself. Damned nice of MS to replace for you.

Just a thought: Did they replace the surface and leave you with the suspect touch cover? If so, you and the guy at the MS store should be poked in the eye for being penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited:
OP
B

bangsters

when they replaced it, I kept the existing type cover.... I don't see any dirt or dust...and the scratch is on the exact same spot as before....

in short, none of you encounter any issues with the SP being easily scratched? hmm.... if it was dust, I wonder how it can be in the exact same location....