What's new

scratch on gorilla glass, with type cover....

Nuspieds

I originally bought the privacy screen protector. I applied it and spent a lot of time thereafter trying to get all the bubbles (or anything that resembled a bubble) out.

End result: Too dull! I like my screens to be bright and vivid, so I ditched it that same day.

I have the type cover and no scratch issues whatsoever. I'm very happy without the screen protector.

mitchellvii

My issue with screen protectors is they are much more difficult to wipe the grease off of than the plane glass. Just tends to smear around.

Jay.tom

I agree with the both of you... I thought I would just toss out the Microsoft recommended screen protector. The screen "feels" really good to me, so I don't have a screen protector on mine either. I would be pretty upset to find a random scratch on my screen also. I guess I am taking the gamble for a better user experience... Seems like good quality :)

I don't know how the Pen does on the screen protectors either. Probably not as good...

Superscythe

This is the second surface pro for me. The first one had a scratch on the screen on the upper left of the screen (on the black border). MS store has replaced the previous one and I have a protection plan. Now this one also has the same scratch on the same area of the screen. Bummer. Anyone else having such issues with getting scratches on the gorilla glass despite having a cover?

Could it have something to do with the type cover? I'm bringing mine back to have it replaced, and probably buy a touch cover to use as daily cover instead of the type cover....

I have the exact same issue as you sir. I thought it was me even though I am crazy careful with my Surface Pro. I also have the type cover and I now have 3 scratches in the top left portion of my screen. I have had my Surface for about 4 months now and I seem to develop another scratch every month or so within 1/2 inch of the initial scratch. Have you had any luck in resolving your issue? Has it happened again to you? What did you say to get Microsoft to swap out your Surface for a new one? Thanks and best of luck.

Igor

It looks like there are screen protectors that Microsoft recommends on their accessory page. Self-healing…hmmm

Surface Accessories ? Power supply, Adapter, Cover, Pen, Mouse, Sleeve

View attachment 762

I have this one on my pro. I actually like it a lot. It's one of the best screen protectors I've used actually. Works great with the pen too. The only downside is it doesn't offer 100% protection, it's about 2mm short vertically, but this hasn't been a problem for me.

Toasty

This is the second surface pro for me. The first one had a scratch on the screen on the upper left of the screen (on the black border). MS store has replaced the previous one and I have a protection plan. Now this one also has the same scratch on the same area of the screen. Bummer. Anyone else having such issues with getting scratches on the gorilla glass despite having a cover?

Could it have something to do with the type cover? I'm bringing mine back to have it replaced, and probably buy a touch cover to use as daily cover instead of the type cover....

How hard was it to get another SP from the Microsoft store? I bought the insurance plan from them as well.

Mine got two pretty bad scratches on the screen :(, I'm beyond careful with it but one morning I turned it on and there was a massive ugly scratch on the top right... This morning I get to work and there was another one.... Ugh. I have never had a device scratch this easily. The first time there was a grain of sand embedded in the palm rest but I don't know where the new one came from. My SP lives either on my bed, being used on the couch or being transported in my padded backpack with the type cover on it.

scratchtt.jpg

scratch2t.jpg

Attachments

• scratchtt.jpg
    scratchtt.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,857

mitchellvii

Gotta agree that's a nasty scratch. I got a hairline scratch about an inch long on mine and I have NO IDEA how I got it. Was just there one day.

Anyway, the answer is SAND. Sand (8 hardness) is harder than Gorilla Glass (7 hardness) and sadly will scratch it very easily. That's why they are talking about the new "sapphire glass" so enthusiastically. Even sand won't scratch it.

* Just tell yourself you are a tech warrior and your stuff gets scratches because you are out there doing battle. :)

bertopl

How hard was it to get another SP from the Microsoft store? I bought the insurance plan from them as well.

I've found the Microsoft Stores to be pretty accomodating. I bought the insurance too. when my type cover was continuously giving me problems on my launch day surface pro, they would have happily swapped mine out as soon as they got inventory in. I suggest getting to know some of the store employees. mine had a really friendly girl who was willing to do a swap without running it through my warranty even though I was past my return period. I decided to keep my surface though since I didn't think a new unit would solve my keyboard problem and just didn't feel like reconfiguring the whole system again. they treated me great though!!

malberttoo

I've found the Microsoft Stores to be pretty accomodating. I bought the insurance too. when my type cover was continuously giving me problems on my launch day surface pro, they would have happily swapped mine out as soon as they got inventory in. I suggest getting to know some of the store employees. mine had a really friendly girl who was willing to do a swap without running it through my warranty even though I was past my return period. I decided to keep my surface though since I didn't think a new unit would solve my keyboard problem and just didn't feel like reconfiguring the whole system again. they treated me great though!!

From this forum, I don't think I've heard anyone complain of being treated badly at a Microsoft Store, not that I can remember. Seems every tale has been positive.

kristalsoldier

Today was the first day I took my RT out without its sleeve and I was thinking of the scratch on Mitch's Surface! I don't think I would do that again. The sleeve does make handling the Surface a problem though - while on public transport. I mean, if I want to read something on the bus or train and I have no place to sit, then taking off the sleeve - stashing it under an arm, handling the Surface etc. gets cumbersome!

When I got back home, I examined the screen carefully. Thankfully, no scratches as of now.

zjx

I have experienced the same sort of scratches though it was on the top right corner.
After some taime talking with the microsoft suport they replaced my unit as a quick solution, but after just a few days of using the new unit, it was already getting signs of scratches on the same spot (this time i had a screen protector, so it was all good). This time the suport replaced the type cover, which until now (its been a little over a week now) it hasn't gotten any scratches.
I think it is due to the type cover getting somewhat embeded with sand quite easily. I did use the touch cover for a few weeks at first and it was just fine (as in that the screen didn't get scratched).