What's new

Scratched my surface book after one week

sqenixs

Of course just my poor luck. I fell asleep last night with my surface book on my bed. Ended up pushing it off my bed in my sleep. I wake up to my surface book on the floor and a scratch on the outside of the tablet. Since I'm pretty sure the tablet is coated with some kind of paint I think I'm out of luck on fixing it. Has anyone successfully buffed out a scratch? This wouldn't have happened if I could find a retailer that sold skins/covers for the surface book. Side note: if I want to get the extended warranty from Microsoft (they already told me that I can get it after I bought it) are they going to refuse me because of the scratch?

OP
S

sqenixs

Yeah those look good. The only thing I don't like about them is that they cover the shiny microsoft logo on the face of the tablet.

bangsters

You can get the extended warranty, then have it exchanged for a new one ($50 deductible). I did that on my surface pro 3 before and surface pro before that. They charged me a $50 deductible but gave me a new one they opened and took out of the box on the spot.

malberttoo

Of course just my poor luck. I fell asleep last night with my surface book on my bed. Ended up pushing it off my bed in my sleep. I wake up to my surface book on the floor and a scratch on the outside of the tablet. Since I'm pretty sure the tablet is coated with some kind of paint I think I'm out of luck on fixing it. Has anyone successfully buffed out a scratch? This wouldn't have happened if I could find a retailer that sold skins/covers for the surface book. Side note: if I want to get the extended warranty from Microsoft (they already told me that I can get it after I bought it) are they going to refuse me because of the scratch?

You can get the extended warranty, then have it exchanged for a new one ($50 deductible). I did that on my surface pro 3 before and surface pro before that. They charged me a $50 deductible but gave me a new one they opened and took out of the box on the spot.

The terms of Microsoft Complete can be found here. You'll notice as seen below, that the terms specifically prohibit coverage on any pre-existing defect that was caused by you, or damage that is known to you:

Complete.PNG

bangsters

Mine was a scratch on the screen that happened after I got the extended warranty, just to clarify. What I'm trying to say is that he can have it exchanged to a new one because of a scratch if he has extended warranty.

Looking at the original post again, if you have extended warranty yes even a scratch they can replace it. But at $50 deductible. If you don't have warranty yet, maybe you can probably return it? That one i'm not too sure about if they'll take it back.

...my bad on not being clear or not reading fully, at work and a bit jumping back and forth work and personal...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
May (probably will) happen to any of us. At least you got s good night's sleep ;) .

Give your Surface Book the same love you had for it the day before. It is a fine machine, and the mark shows you use it.

OP
S

sqenixs

Ok so it sounds to me like my only (ethical) options are:
  1. Live with the scratch
  2. return it (it is still within the return window) and then have to wait a month+ to likely be able to get another one since they are so backordered
I'll probably end up keeping it and still get the extended warranty. Then I would just hope that something breaks on it over the next 2 years. But by then I probably won't care about the scratch anymore and will have more than just one. I bought a skin for it today so at the very least I don't need to look at the scratch every day anymore.