What's new

Scratches on Surface Pro 2 finish from Best Buy

NDM

Today I decided to get a screen protector on my two day old Surface Pro 2 at Best Buy and got it installed with Geek Squad. It wasn't until I got home an hour later that I noticed that the back of it had a bunch of scratches that were probably caused by the guy when he was installing my screen protector and on top of that there was debris in the screen protector that he didn't wipe off. Needless to see I was pretty pissed and am going back tomorrow. What are the chances that they replace my Surface Pro 2 with a new one (I bough it at Best Buy)? I also have Microsoft Complete, but I'm not sure if cosmetic damage is covered. I'm seriously considering contacting Best Buy's corporate office in my province if I don't get reimbursed somehow for the damage.

CrippsCorner

I don't really understand how this is possible, is it just a clear plastic coating? Seems strange... I fear you would have to 'prove' that this guy damaged your Surface, good luck.

Ruffles

The guys work bench probably wasn't clean and had grit that scratched the back while he was pushing/smoothing the protector. Good luck proving it though. This is why I put a skin on my tablet. I hated worrying about the nice finish getting scratched up.

OP
N

NDM

The guys work bench probably wasn't clean and had grit that scratched the back while he was pushing/smoothing the protector. Good luck proving it though. This is why I put a skin on my tablet. I hated worrying about the nice finish getting scratched up.

Yeah that's my guess. I was expecting to scratch the thing eventually, but I was more annoyed that someone else did it over just putting on a screen protector. I think you're right though, it's gonna be pretty impossible to prove they did it. I'm pretty miffed that I didn't check it out at the store after getting it back, but I just wasn't expecting it to happen to be honest. Oh well, live and learn.

mitchellvii

If you used your BestBuy Rewards Card when purchasing at BestBuy over the past year and spent over $1500 then you are an "Elite" member. This means that your 15 day return policy has been extended to 30 days. If this applies to you and you are within 30 days simply exchange it. Just don't say you are exchanging it because they scratched it - you are not required to provide a reason for returning something.

Not sure if the price of your SP2 will apply towards your $1500 or not.

Go to www.my.bestbuy.com to register if you have not. You may also have rewards points worth actual money as well.

TeknoBlast

Before the Best Buy rewards changes, it used to be extended to 60 days, not the new 45 days as it is today. Dont like that change because I had a display go out on me on the 57th day once. This is before the changes though. So I was able to replace the display without any extra charges.

rtibbitts

I recently had work done at Best Buy and before taking the computer they took notes about it's outward condition. These notes were entered onto the work order. I would assume they did that for you too and if no notes were made about scratches on the back I would hope they would accept liability.

CrippsCorner

Oh, yeah, good point... that's how I scratched mine :( it haunts me forever (still rather have a scratch than a cover sticker though!)