What's new

Screen cracked all by its own!

Magkvist

Hi there everybody!

Today, as every other day, I used my SP3 a couple of hours before I went out at about 15:00. Before I got out I had layed it down on a cardboard box and I used it for a bit before plugging in the charger. One bug I have had with this tablet is that the screen stays on until I shut it down manually (when attached to the charger) And sometimes it just turn it self on. Therefor I believe it was turned on beetween 15:00 and around 22:00 when I got home. I am 100% sure that the screen was fine when I left. But when I got back it had a crack all the way from the left to the right. One piece of fine line. The thouch is fine under the crack (the larger area) but on top its no good. And it starts "thouching" it self in the cracked areas from time to time. This leaving it useless.

I bought this in USA at the release day, and brought it back here too Norway. (Because it isnt released before late august over here..)

What to do?! It is supposedly not fixable by my own... I am not going/sending this over to USA... As a student with a superlow income this is the worst thing that could happen to me! Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance..

kozak79

The screen is not serviceable. There is a tear-down video of the SP3 internals, and after heating the screen when they tried to pry it off, it cracked. If you could get a replacement screen, it's conceivable you can glue it back on with some 3m double sided tape, but I doubt it.

benjitek

...I am not going/sending this over to USA... As a student with a superlow income this is the worst thing that could happen to me! Anyone have any tips?
Hindsight is always 20/20, but in your situation it would've been better to wait. If you're not going to send it to the USA, your only option is to check with your local MS source to see how much it'll cost to fix, and what will be involved.

Liam2349

The screen is not serviceable. There is a tear-down video of the SP3 internals, and after heating the screen when they tried to pry it off, it cracked. If you could get a replacement screen, it's conceivable you can glue it back on with some 3m double sided tape, but I doubt it.

I doubt it, the connectors probably aren't long enough for you to even plug them in, the screen will be too close to the chassis and there won't be room for your arms. And then it will probably fall out if you did get it in.

I don't think screens crack by themselves though, Panos did drop one from about 6ft. Carpet, yes, but it didn't seem to give much - seemed like a solid floor.

Does anyone else live in your house?

daveyp

I doubt it, the connectors probably aren't long enough for you to even plug them in, the screen will be too close to the chassis and there won't be room for your arms. And then it will probably fall out if you did get it in.

I don't think screens crack by themselves though, Panos did drop one from about 6ft. Carpet, yes, but it didn't seem to give much - seemed like a solid floor.

Does anyone else live in your house?

the floor was heavily carpeted. no salesman in their right mind would drop a device during a live stream onto a solid floor

JoeNathan78

Hi there everybody!

Today, as every other day, ... top its no good. And it starts "thouching" it self in the cracked areas from time to time...

Sounds like a lonely SP3 to me...

JK.

But yeah, you're in a tough spot, being in Norway definitely complicates things. Im assuming you have the i5?

Bandito

This could easily have been due to a flaw in the glass that showed up after a bit of thermal cycling of the unit.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft and pleading your case with them. Be nice but firm in that you did not drop the unit or damage it in any way. You simply left it running on its own and returned to find it cracked. If the first customer representative you talk to isn't cooperative, then ask to speak with their supervisor and keep escalating your case if necessary. Just remember to remain calm and courteous. It goes a long way in getting these types of situations resolved.

Good luck and I hope that they will accommodate your exchange.