What's new

Screen cracked

colvill

:(

I woke up this morning to find the screen on my Surface Book cracked along the top just below the cameras.

I have looked after this thing and always keep in in a Thule sleeve. I'm away on holidays until Christmas so the MS return process is going to be awkward but I shall see how it goes.

Gutted. :(

OP
C

colvill

It's not easy to photograph. I don't have complete cover but I have lodged a warranty claim. I'm away on holidays now so I can't send it back until I get home. It's still working fine. I did notice it was very hot this morning and locked up again. There is no way I broke it so I will fight. I might even take it into the MS store.

2015-12-10%2009.31.05.jpg

CMD

Ouch, could it be that opening it from that spot all the time weakened it; then heat finished the job?

kimknapp

I had a similar experience with my Galaxy S6 phone and, after googling, it appears the latest iPhone users are seeing something like this. Mine was when I was hiking on a cold day. No trauma to the phone, but when I got home the screen had a clean crack.
I am beginning to wonder if the latest version of Gorilla Glass was made too brittle in their attempt to keep scratches to a minimum?

kundas1

it looks to me like you grabbed it from that spot to undock it and you broke it... but it shouldn't do that by a long shot, seems to me like there is a manufacturing defect and I suspect many more people will have that happen to them... hope not

CrippsCorner

Unfortunately I cannot see the image (Dropbox links never seem to work for me) but sounds like very bad luck! Hope you get this sorted... will be interesting to see Microsoft's reply.

mcsenerd

it looks to me like you grabbed it from that spot to undock it and you broke it... but it shouldn't do that by a long shot, seems to me like there is a manufacturing defect and I suspect many more people will have that happen to them... hope not

I buy this one too... And I'll tell you where the defect is... It's in the placement of the hole at the top of the screen. This is a weak spot, and pressure applied here (which is inside of the dang spot that they've designed to open the thing by the way) can and will crack a screen just like this. I had this very thing happen to my SP3 when I grabbed it one time right there. If you grip the device by the top and put pressure on that hole, it will crack the screen. I paid out of pocket to send my SP3 into MS for a screen repair (they actually just send you a refurb I believe). I think it's just a bad design personally... But I'm sure the apologists will say it's perfect and it's just everyone else's problem because they've never had a problem with it...yada yada yada.

EMINENT

I had this happen on the SP3 as well. Rule of thumb is to not apply too much pressure round areas of weakness, like camera holes and speaker holes.

Good luck.