What's new

Screen cracked

mcsenerd

I had this happen on the SP3 as well. Rule of thumb is to not apply too much pressure round areas of weakness, like camera holes and speaker holes.

Good luck.

Rule of thumb for design excellence... "Don't put areas of weakness at the exact spots where users would likely apply too much pressure" OR better yet, "Don't put areas of weakness at the exact spot where YOU'VE DESIGNED places for users to grasp the screen and put pressure on it"

Last edited:

JBCF

I think I read in another thread that someone had been instructed by a Microsoft representative to grasp the screen by a corner when removing from keyboard base. I wonder if this is because they know about the potential weak spot, certainly wouldn't look good during a demonstration to crack the screen.
Condolences to the OP...

PaoBit

Closing the book has the glass on the top part of the screen making contact with the surface of the keyboard. I cringe a bit closing the book and hearing that thud. I think repeated events like this would be a matter of "when" and not "if" it will crack?

kiomon

I really hope they replace this for you. This idea of having to know where to grab the clipboard and where not too, its a bit too much. Unless MSFT says so in the manual (I haven't seen it), I wouldn't think they have an obvious "handle" area where finger pressure can crack the screen. But I always buy the complete warranty on the MSFT products, and its paid for itself time and time again.

OP
C

colvill

I'm still away on holidays but I plan to take the SB back to Microsoft Store next week to see what they think. I doubt I will be able to get Complete Cover at this stage because they need to 'inspect' the device prior to issuing cover.

Having had a good look at the screen I think you guys a correct, this part of the screen is very fragile and it is possible/likely that I applied pressure while detaching the screen. IMHO is it unacceptable that the screen can break in this way. Will see if MS feel the same way.

olimjj

I'm still away on holidays but I plan to take the SB back to Microsoft Store next week to see what they think. I doubt I will be able to get Complete Cover at this stage because they need to 'inspect' the device prior to issuing cover.

Having had a good look at the screen I think you guys a correct, this part of the screen is very fragile and it is possible/likely that I applied pressure while detaching the screen. IMHO is it unacceptable that the screen can break in this way. Will see if MS feel the same way.
I am not sure if any of this applies or would be helpful to you but recently I accidentally cracked the screen on my Surface pro 1 with a ceramic stone coffee mug. I had Microsoft Complete but that had expired several months ago. I called Microsoft to see if it was repairable; it was not. The only option was to get a replacement(read refurbished for $320 + tax. This was not an cost effective option for me. It then occurred to me that I had purchased it with a credit card that would double the warranty up to an additional year. I called and sure enough it was still covered. I sent in all the necessary documentation they requested and after review they sent me the full original purchase price as a settlement ( not a prorated amount). It did take about 3-4 weeks however, but I was ecstatic. I dont know if I can mention the credit card but it starts with the letters Dis. And no I do not work for them.

Nickolay

I woke up this morning to find the screen on my Surface Book cracked along the top just below the cameras.

I have looked after this thing and always keep in in a Thule sleeve. I'm away on holidays until Christmas so the MS return process is going to be awkward but I shall see how it goes.

Gutted. :(

I've got the same issue. And It's look like on the photo on this page. I've bought my surface book 1.5 month ago and after few days of usage the screen cracked due to closure the device. I did nothing special. I've closed all my computers by this way and all was OK during many years. It's look like not enough contact area between the screen and keyboard which can be reason concentration the pressure in one point and heavy weight of the screen. And, maybe, some internal resistant in the screen which increased because of temperature (it worked 2 days continuously). My seller has sent request in MS and has got the answer that it is not a warranty case yet and offered to replace it for $500 +taxes. FOR $ 500!!! I very confused and disappointed

Last edited:

Nickolay

:(

I woke up this morning to find the screen on my Surface Book cracked along the top just below the cameras.

I have looked after this thing and always keep in in a Thule sleeve. I'm away on holidays until Christmas so the MS return process is going to be awkward but I shall see how it goes.

Gutted. :(

I've got the same issue. And It's look like on the photo on this page. I've bought my surface book 1.5 month ago and after few days of usage the screen cracked due to closure the device. I did nothing special. I've closed all my computers by this way and all was OK during many years. It's look like not enough contact area between the keyboard and the screen which can concentrates the pressure in one point and heavy weight of the screen. And, maybe, some internal resistant in the screen which increased because of temperature (it worked 2 days continuously). My seller has sent request in MS and has got the answer that such screen cracking is not a warranty case yet and offer to replace it for $500 +taxes. I very confused and disappointed

Last edited:
OP
C

colvill

Any news on this OP? I woke up to a similar issue this morning.

Yeah, I took it into the Microsoft store and told them what happened. I emphasized that it was very hot and that I had not mistreated it. They replaced it on the spot and I've had no issues with the replacement. The new one does not get as hot either.

ccnicco48

I had the same issue with mine and its only a month old. the thumping noise it does when it close adds pressure to the glass and the surface book is really hard to open and one morning i opened and and my finger slid to the glass and it cracked. microsoft said there was no repair to the unit and only replacement, and its gonna cost $550. i couldnt get an extended warranty on the unit and now stuck with the broken glass. im so careful when i got the tablet and problem happens when ur trying to open it, it ridiculous how weak the glass is, and i debated wheather or not i should get the surface book or the mac book pro for my business the tablet option made the decision for me. i just started my business and i told them that and i have no extra to try to repair it, i even asked if they can offer my the extended warranty since best buy wont and it passed the 15 days. and they won't offer it to me to help out. i almost cried since its a lot of money invested and now i cant even use it on the field. i threw away that money and for microsoft not try to help out is disgusting. i just wish theres a replacement part but so far there isnt for the book and only for the surface pros. If anyone finds out if a replacement glass comes out please let me know.